Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Lowas

Re: Leaky Lowas

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I mentioned this before...Counterfeit....it depends on where you are buying them. If you're buying from Amazon its possible they could be fake...I've read 10% of items are estimated to be fake counterfeit knock-offs from amazon.

One study showed 20 out of 47 items purchased where fake...

Buy from a trustworthy source.
    these boots weren't purchased off amazon are were from a reputable company so while I agree that counterfeit products are an issue I would hope this is not the case and I'm inclined to believe this is not the issue. I'm definitely not going to use their conditioning and waterstop products from this point forward and hopefully a beeswax product will salvage them for a bit

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I mentioned this before...Counterfeit....it depends on where you are buying them. If you're buying from Amazon its possible they could be fake...I've read 10% of items are estimated to be fake counterfeit knock-offs from amazon.

One study showed 20 out of 47 items purchased where fake...

Buy from a trustworthy source.
    Lowa inspected the boots when they finally accepted them back for warranty consideration and determined they were authentic, but yes that is a consideration.
    Last edited by kitnayakwa77; 05-01-2020 at 10:22 AM.

with any brand and model of boot, you can find drastically different reviews, everybody's mileage is different...how heavy you are, the type of terrain and conditions, how you take care of them, etc

but I do find I read more bad reviews with common complaints about lowa than any other brand...I don't think their boot care products are any good, most of the good reviews seem to be from guys that use other products on them, obenauf, nikiwax, etc

my first pair I could accept responsibility, when lowa customer service flat out blamed me and offered zero support, but the second pair I took better care of any boots I've ever owned, and still ended up unhappy with them....I even took them off driving so they didn't get exposed to direct heat

sadly, it's a very expensive game finding the perfect boots
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    i've had Lowa Tibet boots since 2017. They are holding up ok.
    I had wet feet only twice, and both times i'm not entirely convinced that it wasn't just my pants/socks wicking the moisture up and then into the boot.
    I say that because both times it happened the conditions weren't as wet as some other times where my feet were remained completely dry.
    Bump! .... just an update that my Lowa are now leaking. And leaking bad!

I was in some 10-12" of snow for a day and had puddles of water in each boot. There was no way I could camp up there that night as they would be a solid blocks of ice by morning.

Closer inspection at home has determined that the inside seam on the heel has let go. This has allowed the gore-tex liner to also separate and thus cause a leak. The socks then wick the water over the whole boot.

My ankles were dry so I knew it wasnt comimg from under my gaiters.

This is the same issue a friend of mine had. Exact same.

I'm a little bit surprised at:
    1. Their warranty is only 12 months. Wtf kid of warranty is that I'm today's "lifetime warranty" world?

2. That this rip inside of the boot does not seem to bother my heel at all. The way my heel sits doesnt seem to be putting too much pressure there so it remains comfortable.

Will have to slather some wax on them to add a little water resistance that way ... other than that not much you can do when the liner gives way.

Bump! .... just an update that my Lowa are now leaking. And leaking bad!

I was in some 10-12" of snow for a day and had puddles of water in each boot. There was no way I could camp up there that night as they would be a solid blocks of ice by morning.

Closer inspection at home has determined that the inside seam on the heel has let go. This has allowed the gore-tex liner to also separate and thus cause a leak. The socks then wick the water over the whole boot.

My ankles were dry so I knew it wasnt comimg from under my gaiters.

This is the same issue a friend of mine had. Exact same.

I'm a little bit surprised at:
    1. Their warranty is only 12 months. Wtf kid of warranty is that I'm today's "lifetime warranty" world?

2. That this rip inside of the boot does not seem to bother my heel at all. The way my heel sits doesnt seem to be putting too much pressure there so it remains comfortable.

Will have to slather some wax on them to add a little water resistance that way ... other than that not much you can do when the liner gives way.
    So my solution to this leak problem was:

I waxed the S* out of my lowas and used aquaseal all the way around the sole. They no longer breathe but they were still to comfortable to toss even as leaky boots and I thought I would take the repair into my own hands. Yes the Lowa warranty is S* hence I wont buy another pair but they are now my back-up boots and when dry still comfy. It is unfortunate I will never be able to take them on a backpacking hunt.

The Fix....well the Meindle Canada Pro 3000's are very stiff and ever so comfy. If they leak I'm going to have a jammer. I can't actually say this was the fix but for me I need a very stiff boot and I am happy with them.

wow, my lowas have 4 full seasons and are near perfect, and yes I use them hard but am careful with drying them and do care for them well. I dont think there is a perfect boot these days. almost hit and miss

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    So my solution to this leak problem was:

I waxed the S* out of my lowas and used aquaseal all the way around the sole. They no longer breathe but they were still to comfortable to toss even as leaky boots and I thought I would take the repair into my own hands. Yes the Lowa warranty is S* hence I wont buy another pair but they are now my back-up boots and when dry still comfy. It is unfortunate I will never be able to take them on a backpacking hunt.

The Fix....well the Meindle Canada Pro 3000's are very stiff and ever so comfy. If they leak I'm going to have a jammer. I can't actually say this was the fix but for me I need a very stiff boot and I am happy with them.
    Did you bother reaching out to Lowa? The 12 month warranty really does seem like crap.

That's my plan as well ... slather wax on and aquaseal around the little flexible part on the back of the heel. Not much you can do other than that.

Quote Originally Posted by TARCHER View Post
    wow, my lowas have 4 full seasons and are near perfect, and yes I use them hard but am careful with drying them and do care for them well. I dont think there is a perfect boot these days. almost hit and miss
    No drying method or leather care would prevent this... it was the inside liner seam ... why they put a flimsy seam right on the heel is beyond me.

And there is just nothing you can do on the inside of the boot to repair it unless you could take the boot apart, I guess.

Did you bother reaching out to Lowa? The 12 month warranty really does seem like crap.

That's my plan as well ... slather wax on and aquaseal around the little flexible part on the back of the heel. Not much you can do other than that.
    Absolutely I did. Their response though was more insulting than the 12 mo warranty itself was.

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    Absolutely I did. Their response though was more insulting than the 12 mo warranty itself was.
    Wow. Wonder how many repeat customers they get with that kind of customer care.

I'll definitely be steering clear of Lowa from now on, that's for sure.