Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Lowas

Re: Leaky Lowas

Interesting thread.I just bought Lowas’ this summer and used them for about 6 hunts so far this year.No issues yet;however, I did notice the leather is “needy” for boot treatment.I use Obenauf’s and the boots suck it up regularly.Before these boots I had Scarpa Chamonix, a very stiff boot that I liked, and got 4 hard seasons out of before I wore through inside lining and goretex membrane ( I wore them very tight sized).Before that I had Meindal’s ( before they switched to lighter leather) and got good 6 years out of them until the inner soles and mid soles started rotting out.
    I think boots are a bit of a crap shoot because manufacturers change things like leathers, glues, suppliers, etc and the end result can mean the boot you thought should last,ends up doing an early death.I will keep a close eye on my new Lowas’.They are very comfy and strong, but heavier than the Scarpas- that really liked cause they were super stiff And light as a feather.

Lowa boots are junk and i will never set my foot in another pair. I could go into the details but it would be very long and i get mad every time i think about Lowa

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Lowa boots are junk and i will never set my foot in another pair. I could go into the details but it would be very long and i get mad every time i think about Lowa
    They've been comfortable for me, but way too many bad reviews from hunters ..... definitely NOT buying another pair.

Will continue to wear them because they definitely are comfy for me at this point

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Closer inspection at home has determined that the inside seam on the heel has let go. This has allowed the gore-tex liner to also separate and thus cause a leak. The socks then wick the water over the whole boot.
    my lowas also experienced that issue, but did not bother me really

my issue was the toe box shrinking considerably, not sure if that is leather issue or just the rubber rand, but they fit great at first, then the shape of the toe flattens out and kills my feet....and keeping them moderately water resistant was a struggle, the lowa products sucked, switching to a boot wax helped but as mentioned, the leather was very needy and nothing would last long....walking through dew covered grass the top of the boots would wet out, feet soaked, no way around it.....also found the lowa rubber to suck on wet rocks compared to other boots i've worn

my kenetreks now are just a better boot all around, true to size and the fit does not change, plus great service buying direct from the distributor in PG
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I’ve been using Lowa tech lite hunters for 6 years now. They are the best fitting most comfortable mountain boot I’ve used so far. It’s as if they were made around my feet specifically.
    But, I don’t think they’ve ever been any good at keeping water out. I’ve been using gortex socks for the last few years because of it. I want to replace for next year and all the reading I’ve been doing tells me that all brands have reviews of bad leakage problems and reviews that are excellent.
    A lot of what I’m reading says that waterproofness of the boot has more to do with the condition of the waterproof/breathable membrane than it does with the leather. Well conditioned leather keeps it healthy and allows the leather to breath and works well with the membrane. Sealed leather is apparently way less breathable and doesn’t work well with a membrane.
    With that info in mind, if you suspect that the gortex or eVent membrane is damaged, then maybe a leather treatment that is designed to seal up the leather pores would be better than a treatment that conditions.
    Ive read that rendered bear grease is unbeatable for sealing up leather.
    I still haven’t figured out which mountain boots I’m going with next year. But I’ve been reading a lot of good things about LaSportiva and Asolo models for narrow feet like mine.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 10-23-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    my lowas also experienced that issue, but did not bother me really

my issue was the toe box shrinking considerably, not sure if that is leather issue or just the rubber rand, but they fit great at first, then the shape of the toe flattens out and kills my feet....and keeping them moderately water resistant was a struggle, the lowa products sucked, switching to a boot wax helped but as mentioned, the leather was very needy and nothing would last long....walking through dew covered grass the top of the boots would wet out, feet soaked, no way around it.....also found the lowa rubber to suck on wet rocks compared to other boots i've worn

my kenetreks now are just a better boot all around, true to size and the fit does not change, plus great service buying direct from the distributor in PG
    I have noticed that the shape of the toe box flattens out as well. I have no logical explanation for why or how it happens, but it does. Thankfully, it has not made the fit any worse for me (yet)

A friend of mine did have the same leaking issue when walking through wet grass!! For me that hasnt been an issue, just when in snow with the snow slowly melting around the boot and water logging the leather and seeping in.

I have used as much meindl wax on them as I could get yesterday, so we'll see if that improves things on my next hunt on Sunday where I expect a lot of snow again.

I expect it wont solve the problem, but should slow it down considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    They've been comfortable for me, but way too many bad reviews from hunters ..... definitely NOT buying another pair.

Will continue to wear them because they definitely are comfy for me at this point
    they were very comfortable for me too that is why I tried so hard to make them work 3 pairs all leaked way too early. I have moved on and could not be happier

I had the same problem with my Lowas leaking after about 3 seasons, conditioned them and never dried next to fires or the furnace. Lowa obviously wouldn't warranty them so I tried gortex and they stand 100% behind their product. Answered a couple questions and they reimbursed me full for the boots.

Ok,,,so now I now not to buy lowas, thanks for the info guys. I've been stomping an old pair of Cabelas for a number of years, they have been bulletproof but are wearing out. I need a new pair and want to go with a better boot but Iowas will not be on this list.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

All Gore-Tex will wet out once the leather (or other membrane) becomes saturated.