Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaky Lowas

Leaky Lowas

The first pair of Lowa Tibet Gtx boots I bought leaked nearly right away. My second pair, are cracking and I have had them only a year. The leather is cracking on the inside of the front of the foot on both boots. I never put them directly by a heat source, I always use their conditioner product and their waterstop product so the leather is not drying out. I can't understand why else they would crack.

Unfortunately Lowa only offers a 1 year warranty and I am looking for information if there is something I can do to stop the cracking from continuing to worsen, and also suggestions on how seal them up so they don't leak at this point. I don't know why I have had bad luck with this brand, as I know other hunters have had Lowas for years and have been happy. I'm not in a position to buy new ones at the moment, but when I am it will most definitely be a different brand because Lowa hasn't really offered me any insight or help with this on even how to prevent it. I would just like to be able to get more use out of this pair, given the cost, before having to buy different boots and also learn if it is something I'm doing wrong that has been a costly mistake when it comes to boot treatment. If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated #bootslivesmatter

https://imgur.com/j3rUgzK
    Last edited by hparrott; 04-29-2020 at 06:30 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Leaky Lowas

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    The first pair of Lowa Tibet Gtx boots I bought leaked nearly right away. My second pair, are cracking and I have had them only a year. The leather is cracking on the inside of the front of the foot on both boots. I never put them directly by a heat source, I always use their conditioner product and their waterstop product so the leather is not drying out. I can't understand why else they would crack.

Unfortunately Lowa only offers a 1 year warranty and I am looking for information if there is something I can do to stop the cracking from continuing to worsen, and also suggestions on how seal them up so they don't leak at this point. I don't know why I have had bad luck with this brand, as I know other hunters have had Lowas for years and have been happy. I'm not in a position to buy new ones at the moment, but when I am it will most definitely be a different brand because Lowa hasn't really offered me any insight or help with this on even how to prevent it. I would just like to be able to get more use out of this pair, given the cost, before having to buy different boots. If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/j3rUgzK
    clean them up as best you can. Find some Mendel sport wax heat up your boots and melt it in ... use lots until it won’t absorb any more wax. Set aside to set up then buff with a dry clean cloth. My lowas were poorly built as well only lasted a few seasons. The big thing is to keep mud off leather nothing will destroy leather faster than that.
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Save the money you'd spend on wax for a new pair. My Lowa Tibet's were the worst boots I ever owned. They dried out incredibly fast, warped, shrunk, cracked and barely lasted one season, and I didn't even use them much that year.

Use some olive oil to restore some moisture to the leather.

What size feet do you have?

Weird my Renegade GTX are going on 4 years and are great. I put dubin on them from day one though. I have a new pair of Hunter GTX I will do the same apparently after reading this.

Chinese counterfeit?

Looks like the LEATHER is dried out ? Those boots Look 10 years OLD ! I like OBENAUF'S leather oil - jmo RJ

https://www.obenaufs.com/
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 04-29-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Wax them should seal them up.

Meindl sport wax. I do not know what they put in it but its been the best wax I have used

My Lowa Tibet GTX are still going strong 6 years later, with nothing more than regular cleaning and conditioning. I prefer a beeswax based product. Lots of time in mountain talus, snow, dry Okanagan dust and wet fall moose hunting conditions. My last trip was GPS tracked at 96 kms hiked over a week, rained every day. My feet were dry the entire time, and boots still look great.
    Twist and pull.

Could try Neetsfoot oil on the boot.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!