Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time of day

Time of day

I’m curious how many guys have shot game mid day? And what species and what time of year? For myself I’ve always had my best luck for bears mid day both in March and especially in September, moose I’ve also had better mid morning luck. Whitetail for me has mostly been first hour and last hour of legal light. Then there is the rut. Might be a good way for us hunters to compare notes.. do you believe in the full moon? Something other than doom and gloom coronavirus talk!
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Time of day

Around here there isn’t a March bear season where you have had your best luck mid-day (but polar bears rut in March).
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 04-29-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Early to mid morning. Never anything afternoon to last night

Whitetails first and last light like you said, though still-hunting I've had some luck mid day...mulies the same...bear more luck for me afternoon/evening..

I seem to see and shoot a lot of bucks between first light and 11 am.

Let’s see, last muley I shot was first light, last elk was at about 8:30 in the morning, last moose I shot was at about 11:30 am in November, and the last bear I shot was close to last light.

Last year all my whitetail were first hour of legal light and dad and I shot both our mule deer at 3 pm in the afternoon both bears were between noon and one pm on September first, our moose was opening day at 11 am
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Last moose was just before last light but all the moose before that were the first couple of hours of daylight. No real pattern for deer, muley or white-tail, but I don't hunt early season, when I would expect more success at dawn or dusk.

I read a biologists report on collared deer .It stated there was no difference in deer movement during a full moon.
    I find the app on the gps is pretty accurate as far as animal movement.

I often like to sit from dawn to dusk for deer. Shot several deer mid day including my biggest blacktail and 2nd biggest whitetail. Also taken a few mid day bears and seen many more.