Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinder advice please

Re: Rangefinder advice please

You can set the 1600B to do angle compensation and thats it.... Thats how mine is set.

Only downside is it will only compensate out to 800 yards, which is kind of irritating when I'm busting rocks at distance....

Hmm I thought it also added air pressure and humidity etc. The R model just gives you the angle.

Oh. Well now I'm wondering about that.... Could be. Been awhile since I've been in the settings.

I’m itching to pull the trigger on a Leica 2800.com. I have it on my cart, have been most of the way though the checkout process twice now. I just keep thinking the “pack out” (the better half’s opinion when it shows up) is going to brutal.

I currently have an older Bushy Elite with a scratched up sensor lens (got it cheap because of that) and it maxes out at about 550. It’s bulky too.
    Pretend hunter.

Sig..... faster unit, less money, farther reach, continuously ranges with holding down the button, less
    divorce....

I have a sig and am happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Sig..... faster unit, less money, farther reach, continuously ranges with holding down the button, less
    divorce....
    What am I missing here? Honest questions, since I haven’t used either, and real-life comparisons are usually better than manufacture’s ratings. I’m comparing to the Kilo 2200BDX and the 2800.com

Faster - The Leica ranges in .3 seconds, spec isn’t given for the Sig that I could find. In scan mode, the Sig updates 4x / sec, and the Leica updates every .3. I guess every .05 seconds counts, but that’s pretty comparable to me.

Less money - OK, that’s very true, 2/3 the price. I’d be in the doghouse for either. LOL

Farther reach. Is it really in the real-world? Leica’s ratings for both game / trees are a bit higher, only the reflective target rating of the Sig, and based on their other numbers, I wonder if that isn’t overly optimistic? I’ve know a 1600B to consistently range at or above it’s rated distances, so tend the expect the same of their new models. Can that be said of Sigs as well?

Continuously ranging? The Leica CRF’s have had scan mode at least as far back as the 1600B, so I’m not sure what you mean. Is scan mode is always on with the Sig?

The Leica is also smaller (12.65 cubic inches vs 15.6), 0.8 oz lighter, and made in Portugal vs China.
    Pretend hunter.

Nope my bad. I was thinking of the 1600b vs the Kilo 2200 when I was playing with the one my buddy had against my Leica. Between the two the Sig was a faster unit that gave the same ranges and same correction. At that time there was a $300+ gap between the two.

I have a couple a 1200 and a 1600b, and they are great units, but they are absolutely spendy and the technology is changing fast and there is stuff out there that reaches farther and faster now. Only thing I would say is that no matter what you go with, decide on the range that you will realistically use it for, and then find one that is rated for double that distance.

That last part sounds like darn good advice to me. Decisions, decisions. It’s not easy. LOL

Thanks for the comments.
    Pretend hunter.

My 1200 would occasionally range out to 1344 yards, and my 1600 will usually hit 1844 yards, right up until I need to know if that bull is 1200 yards or 1400 yards, and which knoll do I need to get to to be close enough for a shot....

Nobody has ever complained about a range finder that gets readings to far away...