Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinder advice please

Re: Rangefinder advice please

I have the Vortex 1000. Best I can get out of it is 600 yards regularly. I always expect to range less than advertised. Partner has Leica 2700B that thing is great. For me it's less about ranging an animal within shooting range but more about how far a stalk might be.

Are you going to use it primarily to range or are you going to use it like binoculars too?

Since I bought my Leica rangefinder I don't bother with binoculars anymore when I'm hunting.

I have a Vortex 1000
    ranging much past 500 yards is hard. However, I do like the red illumination compared to the black display of some others. If it was a Little faster and had better range it would be awesome.

But for hunting it’s more than enough

and the lifetime warranty is awesome for electronics

I have Zeiss conquest HD binos in a Kuiu harness that I wear all the time, hunting, hiking, sporting events. I was thinking about waiting until Omer got some more stock of the Leica CRF 2400-R. The vortex razor rangefinder would be another option I considered due to the warranty.

every day that goes by my budget goes up $100. Geez.

I’d stay away from really cheap rangefinders, cheap glass can it make it difficult to range objects at lower light or in the shade. Definitely look through the cheap ones before buying and see if it is acceptable. I had a Nikon that I was happy with, until I left it in the bush somewhere.

The most important things to consider with range finders is good optics, good error correction software, tightly collimated beams, and/or small beam divergence. All things most of the cheaper units don't have or are not done well.

I've owned a bushnell scout 1000, vortex ranger 1000, 1300, 1500, 1800 and currently the razor. The razor is the only one worth having in that line, it works very well. Only reason I've stuck with vortex is the warranty. I'd get a sig sauer otherwise.

I went with a Leica 2000 yard model.
    If i can hold it steady (against a tree for example) i can routinely get deer to 1200 yards. Largeer objects even further.

I got a vortex razor 4000 because of the bigger objective lens, it’s waterproof and the lifetime no questions asked warranty, as long as I don’t loose it they will replace it.

Still looking! There's a 1600B available new in box for $700. TBH I would rather have the simpler 1600R or 2400R, all i need is angle compensation, none of the other features matter. I prefer to have the simplest tool that meets my needs, less stuff to break.

Anyone got anything used they want to sell? Have a hunt booked out of Dease in August and I'd like to have a ranger by then.