Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangefinder advice please

Rangefinder advice please

Hey guys, I’m looking to buy my first hunting rangefinder. My budget is $500 although I’m always looking for the best value/deal for my money.

Bushnell has a 30% rebate right now and I can get a Prime 1700 unit for less than $160 before tax.

The other choice I’m looking at is the Nikon Monarch 3000 stabilized which would go for $450 or so on sale as it’s been discontinued. Since it’s the only stabilized model available I wouldn’t mind snapping one up while I still can.

I’ve always been of the mindset to buy quality stuff the first time and I like the features of the Nikon but 40% total off the Bushnell makes a compelling case to try it out without much risk.

Does anyone have any input they could provide me?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rangefinder advice please

How far are you realistically comfortable taking a shot at an animal? I think you'll typically get about half the rated range (or less) on animals vs. a reflective target. For me, the 700yd range on a deer with the Bushnell is further than I'd ever consider shooting one, so I'd have a hard time justifying spending more, especially nearly three times the price.

If you're into long range target shooting, it may be worth spending the extra.

I have shot moose at 300 yards but that’s a bloody big target. My farthest shot on a deer has been 70 yards. So I guess the answer is not that far.

I recently bought a longer range rifle and BT Swarovski for it and on my northern BC trip I come across caribou and goats. My hunting partner bought a Leupold RF and it was interesting ranging moose and other animals on the lake shore and on the mountain side.

If a corkscrew sheep was standing there 500 yards away and I couldn’t get closer I would range it and shoot until it hit the dirt or the gun goes click, so I’m not above trying, with a little practice.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    How far are you realistically comfortable taking a shot at an animal? I think you'll typically get about half the rated range (or less) on animals vs. a reflective target. For me, the 700yd range on a deer with the Bushnell is further than I'd ever consider shooting one, so I'd have a hard time justifying spending more, especially nearly three times the price.

If you're into long range target shooting, it may be worth spending the extra.
    It's not all.about the range itself. It's about accuracy. A 2000yard model is definitely going to be more precise than a 1000 yard model, even if you never plan to shoot past 500 yards.

I would get the furthest ranger you can afford.
    Even though you might not shoot something at 2000 yards, sometimes you want to know how far something is that you have to hike to.
    It's good to be able to know distance not just for shooting.

If you have $500 budget, spend it all.
    Last edited by adriaticum; 04-29-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

The SigSauer units punch way above their weight class. They are faster and offer continuous scanning - hold the button down and follow something and get a moving range.

I have a couple of Leica units, one that doesn't correct for horizontal distance and one that does (although the Leica tops out on corrections at 800 yards, but will read out to 1800+ yards) and the Sigs that I have tried have given the exact same distances, faster, and farther, for half the money. I would Sig way before I would Bushnell or Nikon.... Stabilizing is a gimmick, all you want to do is get a range. That's all they are for, you don't need to burn up battery power on stabilizing your LRF.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    The SigSauer units punch way above their weight class. They are faster and offer continuous scanning - hold the button down and follow something and get a moving range.

I have a couple of Leica units, one that doesn't correct for horizontal distance and one that does (although the Leica tops out on corrections at 800 yards, but will read out to 1800+ yards) and the Sigs that I have tried have given the exact same distances, faster, and farther, for half the money. I would Sig way before I would Bushnell or Nikon.... Stabilizing is a gimmick, all you want to do is get a range. That's all they are for, you don't need to burn up battery power on stabilizing your LRF.

For example this one
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13056...dx-rangefinder

Falls just within his budget.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I'm contemplating just selling my Zeiss Conquest Bino's and getting a used Swaro EL Range. With the 5-$700 I would spend on the rangefinder I'm not that far off budget. What about that option?

Take a look at this link. Could help you some. https://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html

I’m not a huge vortex fan boy but when it comes to electronics, they have the best warranty. I had a 1500 that I dropped and it wouldn’t work anymore. I sent it in and had a new 1800 a couple weeks later for free.
    I would buy the best vortex one you can afford. Most of the other ones only warranty the electronics for a year. That being said the new Leupold bow range finder is pretty interesting...