Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spotting Scopes

Re: Spotting Scopes

I ended up buying a Kowa 773 with the 25-60 wide angle eyepiece. I don't have any buddies with high end spotters to look through, and taking a spotter out to the store parking lot in the middle of the day won't prove anything, so I had to just read a ton of reviews and comparisons, and decide what features I wanted.

I know it's not fair to compare the 77mm objective to the 65 class spotters, but I lumped it in with them based on price, and weight. The Kowa 77 weighs about the same as the gen 2 65mm Razors, and the Swaro X 65mm, though heavier than the S series Swaro.

Pricewise, it was a little cheaper than going with the ATS 65.

You can get the wide angle FOV in a 25-60x eyepiece, vs losing a bit at 25-50x on the Swaro, or having to go with the non-wide angle 20-60.

The Kowa has the coarse and fine focus adjustment like the original razors, something I think I would like vs the single speed focus on the Swaros.

Performance wise I think it's fantastic, but like I said, I wasn't able to do any comparisons. My previous spotter experience is with a celestron regal 65mm, and the Razor 50mm. Plenty of folks on the birding forums(way better source of optics info than hunting forums) regard the Kowa 880 as the best spotting scope on the planet, but thats bigger, heavier, and more expensive than I wanted to go. It seemed like a lot of opinions I found felt the Kowa 77 was better than the Swaro S 65, and some said better than the 80 as well. I didn't find a ton of info on the 77 vs the X series Swaro, but there's a significant price difference there, even for just the 65mm Swaro.

I'd still love to do a side by side with a Swaro just to see, and the 11ish ounce weight difference from the S 65 mm isn't insignificant if you're an ounce counter, but that's how I ended up making my decision.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I 100% agree on the Kowa. Brought my new Kowa Prominar TSN-883 to camp last year, a camp where there was two brand new Swaro’s, side by side comparison, 7 people in camp, all agreed the Kowa was the winner, even the Swaro owners....of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Swaro and would be proud to own one. One thing that probably skewed opinions was that my scope has an 88mm objective and both Swaro’s were 60 I believe, maybe 65. Heavier yes, but we are talking ounces and not pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Apparently the kowa are on par with Swarovski for less money but there are a bit heavier. Except if you go with the kowa 553. Amazing glass ultra lightweight but only 50 mm objective
    Last edited by Thunderstix; 05-03-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typo
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Hey Cheeser, here’s a write up from a couple years ago, before the latest offerings from Swaro. Same comparison for the same reasons. The Kowa is still as clear and crisp as the day I bought it. I have no regrets at all.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...owa-773-compro

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Apparently the kowa are on par with Swarovski for less money but there are a bit heavier. Except if you go with the kowa 553. Amazing glass ultra lightweight but only 50 mm objective
    I no longer have a horse in this race but stand by what I've always said... the Kowa 800 series is as good as it gets and the 700 series is way better than Vortex for about the same coin. You should at the very least check them out!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    Hey Cheeser, here’s a write up from a couple years ago, before the latest offerings from Swaro. Same comparison for the same reasons. The Kowa is still as clear and crisp as the day I bought it. I have no regrets at all.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...owa-773-compro
    Cheers, that thread was definitely a big contributor in my decision! It was also a big reason why I felt the need to clarify why I was comparing the 773 with the 65mm class scopes, considering how many people were butthurt that you would dare try and post something of value to others on the internet.

I had done some checking and homework on a spotter purchase for future reference and dreams. While browsing some online sites a few months ago, (when bored at work) I came across a demo swaro ATX 65 model for a song and a dance and just couldn't stop myself from the purchase.
    They are far and few in between, but they do come up once in a while for some great savings on the demo models, unless you are pressed for time and just need it now. Or unless you know a guide, as they sometimes sell of products they get gifted, or get for cheap. (Yes this is true)
    Now if my tripod would only get here.
    Might want to also invest in a good phone scope as well, or at least have that in your radar once you have a spotter. Works great so far at the range and some limited wildlife photos.