Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scopes

Spotting Scopes

Been thinking of getting a new spotter ever since mine got stolen a few years back out of the truck.. Been tossing up the idea of getting either a Vortex Razor or a used Swaro or Leica in the 30-60 range.. I know optics can be quite subjective in regards to clarity and brightness and the price can be limitless in what you want to spend.. Overall what do you guys all use and what are you thoughts? I don't really want to break the bank on a spotter but I also don't want to have something that is mediocre either.. my old one was a Nikon Fieldscope which was pretty decent for it's time

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spotting Scopes

Depends on what you are using it for. There is no argument when it comes to good optics. Just look at what the guides are using and what experienced hunters are using. You really can't beat Swaro, Leica or Zeiss. These brands have the reputation they do for a reason. You can buy lots of cheap optics over your lifetime and end up spending the same money you would have buying quality once. I like the Swaro 65 with the 20 x 50 eyepiece. Compact and it works. Great clarity in all light conditions, never fogs up, and is rugged and dependable. Ya I know, Swaros aren't cheap, but you pay for quality. When your up in the mountains trying to determine legality of an animal from distance, good spotting scopes pay their way and save a lot of boot leather. Buy what you can afford or justify, but be sure you won't be disappointed by good glass. Cheers

I carry a Swarovski 20-60x65, and it is not bad glass. If I were doing it over again, I would wait and save more money and buy the Leica.

That said, I have used the Vortex Razor side by side at last light a few times with my Swarovski, and the image to my eye was a bit sharper. That was likely due to the fine focus on the Vortex vs the slightly coarser single focus ring of the Swarovski.

If you are a sheep hunter, and going to be using it every year, spend the money. If you aren't super serious about it then the Vortex will likely do fine for counting tines on muleys or moose.

I went through this dilemma earlier this year and ended up buying a Vortex Razor although I may yet change my mind.

I seem to be able to baby my rifle scope but my binoculars take a beating so the Vortex warranty is important to me. I applied the same logic to my spotting scope-- it will be strapped on the outside of my pack in very inhospitable conditions. I don't want the worry of maintaining it in perfect condition all the time.

A Leica with a few scratches is worth a significant discount from the price of a brand new one. A Vortex Razor with a few scratches is literally exchangeable for a brand new one.

Like I say, I may still change my mind. There is a herd of bighorns across the lake from my cabin at about 1000 yards and I'm not 100% convinced the Razors are the level of detail I'm looking for.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Pretty happy with my ATX 65.. That being said I don't necessarily think there's a $2,000 difference between that and my partners ATS 65.. I'd be tempted to put that 2k to better use elsewhere I think, but if you have it you wont regret it either. Don't think I could downgrade.

Started with a Razor 65. They work but I don't prefer them.

I prefer Swaro glass, things pop better for me. Go look through a few scopes or find guys in your area to try theirs, once Covid blows over anyways.

My .02

Apparently the kowa are on par with Swarovski for less money but there are a bit heavier. Except if you go with the kowa 553. Amazing glass ultra lightweight but only 50 mm objective

Something to also keep in mind with Swaro is that their warranty if needed is excellent. Same for any repairs. Leica on the other hand although a good scope, takes a long time for warranty and repairs, and availability is not great. When I was purchasing my scope, I had decided on a Leica, but the dealer I was working with, who sells lots of scopes to birders, suggested I consider Swaro, because of their availability and service. Although he carried Leica, he said any after purchase service was painful at best, and usually costly.

I’ve bought optics from $400-$1400, but I’ve always been disappointed with their performance at max mag compared to higher end options. If you actually can afford it and just aren’t using “buy once cry once” as an excuse, spend the $$. Optics are the first and most important step to successful hunting. A savage rifle could shot the animal you identified with the $3-$4K optic.

Personally I run an ATX 65mm, and would argue with most that it is the best scope on the market. It has never let me down and never have I felt like something was missing or lacking with it.

With that being said, most of my hunting partners run the S line(ATS or STS) and those are also great scopes at a much nicer price point. While I do notice abit of a difference in the two lines, that S line is going to get the job done without any hesitation.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I’ve used Leica optics for 35 years, I have used there warranty depot in New Jersey just to refurbish and older pair of Trinovids and it took a while to get them back, service was just ok

My brother has the Vortex Razor spotter and I can’t see much difference in clarity between the two but the focus functions were way better to use on the Leica.

You really can’t go wrong with Leica, Swarovski, ZEISS, even Meopta, my brother is harder on gear than anyone I know and his Vortex is still holding up !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America