Thread: How well does your dog know other animal species?

How well does your dog know other animal species?

I know I'll probably have to do some trash breaking (the term used to stop dogs from chasing ungulates, snakes, porcupines, etc.) with Sako since we've been watching so much WILD TV since the pandemic. Every time she sees deer, bears, etc. on the tv she's right up front glued to the screen and when someone arrows or shoots one and they take off she runs in that direction.

When I'm up at the cabin we cross paths with them all the time. Time to charge up the e collar.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How well does your dog know other animal species?

LOL, glad we don't have any stabbity or stink squirrels here. Jessie does the same thing. She loves watching animals on TV and hunting shows, and if I throw in a retreiver training video she's all in.

I took Jessie deer hunting with me last year. She did pretty good. Shot a whitetail with her at my side one day and we ran into a griz on a gutpile a last light a few days later. Also ran across various squirrels from your list that seem to have a way of pestering a dog.

Going to take her bear hunting with me this weekend.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-28-2020 at 08:37 AM.

My boy just loves to chase the neighbour's cat, he can be sound asleep enjoying the sun on the deck and he get's a wiff of that cat, he's gone barking and growling. A couple of months a go he treed a family of Raccoons, he's a lab but he was barking like a hound at the bottom of the tree. When he's in the yard, he's always giving the small birds and crows a hard time, when he leaves the house you can hear the crows giving the signal that the A-HOLE is out. Last summer I had a large male Black Bear set up shop in a bit of bush on place, you could always tell when that bear was there, it was a totally different bark. This guy is a bit of a watch dog, which I don't mind.

Oh ya, in his first year of hunting Pheasants in Alberta he found out what Porcupine's were about and he hasn't given them a second look since and that was 5 seasons a go, he had a yap full.