Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tick season is upon us

Re: Tick season is upon us

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Maybe 35 Rem will have more up to date information as Lepto is a horrible disease.
    Lepto indeed is not on my favorite diseases to treat list. The problem with vaccinating for Lepto is that vaccination does not give long lasting immunity, so annual vaccination is recommended. The other issue is that there are many different serovars (strains) of Lepto and there is not good cross immunity between them. This means that the vaccine strain needs to match the wild strain or protection will be poor. In BC Lepto is mainly found in the more humid areas of the province; LML and the Island. I am in the Okanagan and no positive case has ever been reported to my knowledge. Since allergic reactions to vaccines are often associated with the Lepto component most veterinarians in low risk Lepto areas will not vaccinate for it. However, the vaccine is readily available from a number of manufacturers and can always be specially ordered. Lepto and Rabies vaccines by law can only be administered by a veterinarian.

Regarding tick prevention: my own dog gets NexGard Spectra. Bravecto will do ticks and fleas; NexGard Spectra ticks, fleas, heartworm, hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, and lungworm. Not on the label: both are quite effective against lice and various mites, including scabies. In the Okanagan we see the odd case of heartworm and my dog is not above eating pooh, so I like the deworming aspect of the Nexgard as well.

Here is a good link with info on Lepto:

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/de...239&id=4951453

And another for Lyme:

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/de...239&id=4952009
    Last edited by 35rem; 04-29-2020 at 08:31 PM.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Solid information as per usual.....thanks.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Solid information as per usual.....thanks.
    Sounds like you might not need to worry about Lepto where you live if the Okanagan climate is a plus for not getting the disease. Perhaps the weather is such that you need not worry about it down south either?

Thank you very much for the info regarding flea and tick prevention everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Perhaps the weather is such that you need not worry about it down south either?
    Depends on where down south you are. The best advice is to call a local veterinary clinic as they know what is in their particular neck of the woods.

Searched 'ticks' looking for info on flea&tick collars......looks like the oral chew is more popular ?
    Collars not as effective maybe?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Searched 'ticks' looking for info on flea&tick collars......looks like the oral chew is more popular ?
    Can't go wrong with Bravecto (3 month oral) or Nextguard (1 month oral). Getting a lyme disease vaccination is a good idea, as well, especially if you spend time in the interior where the ticks are much worse. I'm in the bush daily with my dog or in the grasslands/marsh bird hunting a couple of times per week and once the ice comes off the lakes I'm fly fishing 3 days a week up in the interior all spring and summer long,,,,she's five and has been on Bravecto since she was 6 months old and I haven't found a tick on her even once. She's never had fleas on her either. Just the same, she always get an annual Lyme disease vacc.
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    the most effective flea collar is the Seresto collar manufactured by Bayer. Only available in the US. Beware of online knock-offs and check out the packaging carefully.

The problem with collars vs the oral Bravecto medication is the collar quickly loses its effectiveness if you have a dog in the water during the warmer months.

We use Bravecto here ….. one tablet every three months …. Been very happy with the results as no fleas or ticks on the dogs here!
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH