Thread: Tick season is upon us

Threaded View

Re: Tick season is upon us

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Maybe 35 Rem will have more up to date information as Lepto is a horrible disease.
    Lepto indeed is not on my favorite diseases to treat list. The problem with vaccinating for Lepto is that vaccination does not give long lasting immunity, so annual vaccination is recommended. The other issue is that there are many different serovars (strains) of Lepto and there is not good cross immunity between them. This means that the vaccine strain needs to match the wild strain or protection will be poor. In BC Lepto is mainly found in the more humid areas of the province; LML and the Island. I am in the Okanagan and no positive case has ever been reported to my knowledge. Since allergic reactions to vaccines are often associated with the Lepto component most veterinarians in low risk Lepto areas will not vaccinate for it. However, the vaccine is readily available from a number of manufacturers and can always be specially ordered. Lepto and Rabies vaccines by law can only be administered by a veterinarian.

Regarding tick prevention: my own dog gets NexGard Spectra. Bravecto will do ticks and fleas; NexGard Spectra ticks, fleas, heartworm, hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, and lungworm. Not on the label: both are quite effective against lice and various mites, including scabies. In the Okanagan we see the odd case of heartworm and my dog is not above eating pooh, so I like the deworming aspect of the Nexgard as well.

Here is a good link with info on Lepto:

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/de...239&id=4951453

And another for Lyme:

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/de...239&id=4952009
    Last edited by 35rem; 04-29-2020 at 08:31 PM.