Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying again

Tying again

Well after 20 years of not tying a fly and decided this was a good time to get myself back into it. I also thought if Im gonna do it Im gonna support local and one of my fav places to shop. Robinsons Outdoor Store here in Victoria. I gave Matt a call and told him what I wanted to do, and he put together a good starter package for me to get back into it. And on top of it all, he delivered it himself! Here are a couple I tied up over the weekend.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tying again

Nice, good way to kill some time
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Beauties.........

It looks like you did not lose any skills after 20 years. I took a fly tying course in January and then really got into it. Lots of info and tying videos online if you ever need to brush up on something.

You didn’t loose a strep. Nice flies!

Just like riding a bike - you really don't lose those skills. Just don't get carried away and have to dedicate a special room in your house just for fly tying materials.

Have fun with it and it becomes a great stress reliever as it puts your mind at rest and world issues go away because you're focused on getting your hackle to point in the correct direction.

Today's premium materials are so mych better than tying flies on baitholder hooks, wrapped in knitting wool, pillow case feathers and sewing thread.

Tying is an excellent way to social distance yourself for a few hours.

Nice work there BCHyot. Depending on how long you have been tying in the past. I have found Youtube a good way to brush up on some of the techniques that may have changed due to newer materials. You proportions look good, so enjoy your quiet time.

Yeah Ive been watching lots on YouTube. Hardest thing so far was getting used to whip finishing again.

looks good and dont cheap out on the glue for the heads to seal off your whip finish.

Hmmm very nice tying, thanks for sharing..
    Cheers
    Srupp