Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging damage..grrr

Re: Logging damage..grrr

Hmmm thank you guys..getting a education
    appreciate the insights..
    Cheers
    Srupp

Steve I can understand your concerns as I as well have lost areas were I have hunted for years both to native claims
    and logging. I have to believe the people on this form who do not understand have never developed this relation ship
    with the land or the areas that we have worked over time and this does take years. Always seems to be people on this form that want to slag others.

I was having a look at the interior mule deer study and one of the recommendations was to plant forge species where they belong in future logging areas.. problem is everything is already logged and I doubt their going back to reclaim every block in the province. Every year I buy a big bag of clover and scatter it along the roads where I hunt it really boosts the grouse numbers. I also grow a few seedlings every year and plant them in my hunting spot. Last fall I planted a few hundred white acorn in the ground at one of my whitetail spots. Lots the individual can do on our own. Plant sunflowers out their for the birds it all helps. Lots of complainers out their including myself so why not do something about it. Two or three trees a year for every hunter and voila. Ps apple trees are tough and grow great in open damp areas
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Back in the day fir was selective logging only now they clear cut it they get around it by saying it’s bug infested which is bull crap!! We’re loosing winter range fir in the loops at an alarming rate. The lichen that hangs on those Limbs or blown off in wind storms are a life line for the deer never mind the loss of thermal cover. What they have done to Vancouver island is gross negligence as well I’ve seen it myself.. boggles the mind they can get away with that.. but when you give millions to a campaign I guess you get that privilege
    But it is bug infested...the blowdown event in the fir stands this winter was epic..Shuswap North Thompson. All caused by the heavy snowfall in late December. It is now a beetle haven...
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I was having a look at the interior mule deer study and one of the recommendations was to plant forge species where they belong in future logging areas.. problem is everything is already logged and I doubt their going back to reclaim every block in the province. Every year I buy a big bag of clover and scatter it along the roads where I hunt it really boosts the grouse numbers. I also grow a few seedlings every year and plant them in my hunting spot. Last fall I planted a few hundred white acorn in the ground at one of my whitetail spots. Lots the individual can do on our own. Plant sunflowers out their for the birds it all helps. Lots of complainers out their including myself so why not do something about it. Two or three trees a year for every hunter and voila. Ps apple trees are tough and grow great in open damp areas
    White acorn is not a native species..
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

[QUOTE=horshur;2170041]White acorn is not a native species..[/QUOTE
    actually it is now it’s been in a few of my whitetail spots for years same as larch it’s all over the hills in the loops and it certainly wasn’t planted we also have grey squirrels in Kamloops now from hitching rides from the lower mainland and some of our local lakes now have red crayfish

Don’t forget the city and school districts plant white and red oak on their grounds the acorns get wildly dispersed by crows and squirrels

There are also wild turkeys in barrier a very small group for years now they haven’t expanded because habitat isn’t quite suitable

What is a native species? Pretty much anything you find in Canada. Whitetail never showed up till the mid 80s with climate and landscape changes animals move in and adapt to favourable environments people are no different

Knowingly spreading an invasive species isn't a good idea.