Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging damage..grrr

Re: Logging damage..grrr

I remember going deer hunting with a buddy a number of years ago (about 10) and we had bagged out and had a few days left in our trip so we decided to go to one of his old favourite moose spots and see if we could get one or at least go for a wander. Well we drove into an area that was completely clearcut as far as the eye could see. He just about started crying and the look of pain and loss in his face was obvious. He had taken a lot of moose out of that area at one time and it was just a moonscape when we arrived. It was just a sad day. We drove around amazed at what had happened, it was beetle infested and had to go but it is devastating to someone who once knew a rich area with a healthy animal population. With that I understand srupps pain.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    ​Have done both . . . .
    But haven’t had to deal with C&E getting overzealous if just one square metre or tree is burnt. You want to know why burning has all but disappeared? Ridiculous prosecution is one reason. We had to spend thousands and all sorts of stress and time to go to “C&E court” because a burn escaped and burnt 3 trees....3. Guess how much burning we have done since then.... none, not worth the risk. Yes there are other reasons but this is a main one.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Then you would know that the "time and diesel wasted" is covered off in the log rate and the contractor is compensated for that time and diesel and it isn't out of pocket by the contractor.

Have you ever had the terms and conditions of a TS arbitrarily change 'mid-stream' . . . ?
    The new-age RPF's should be lighting slash instead of their hair on fire.

Steven, I understnd your frustration. Some of my areas had wild spaces left alone with logging all around, a mix that was acceptable imo
    Then the logging happens in those 'leaves' as they are not designated wildlife or protected areas, just part of the TSL scheduled for later
    It seems NSR designated lands are the only trees left standing, I think some of those are destroyed just to get to good lumber

We need to join the fight for protected areas, even if it means siding with the Anti-'s to get things done
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

“We cannot continue to degrade habitat and then be surprised to see the steep declines in fish and wildlife populations,” said Wildsight conservation coordinator Eddie Petryshen.

https://www.cranbrooktownsman.com/ne...rom-wildsight/
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hmmm had a helpful suggestion by very nice gentleman..I contacted Tolko..who hired the contractor San Jose..
    the gentleman was polite, knowledgeable. .and has a family member in guiding industry for years..we spoke for almost 35 minutes..
    He advised me ..mine was NOT the type of feedback he desired.and it was significant someone took the time to articulate their reactions and why.
    He was not aware ATV trails were merely blocked. Not logged
    He was not aware there were memorials for Horsefly residents.
    I will GPS THE ATV trails next weekend..86 cents litre" diesel here..if roads are open from flooded.
    I will seek out back routes..
    He did listen to my concerns as one who has seen a lot of logging over 30 years from the ground and by helicopter when working. And a user of his workplace..he was not very up to date on the specifics...but I'm sure that will change regarding ATV trails, snowmobile trails, cross country skiing trails..Horsefly fire dept poker run to raise monies for fire hall in Horsefly .
    He seemed sympathetic to co-users of the area.
    They will log the entire area to the peak over the next 18 months., then deactivate the road.
    No..no you can't deactivate the road as there are 6 homes that only access is via that road..he was unaware that when the road flooded out 4 years ago forestry was forced to put in a culvert to keep the Rd open..
    I gave him the GPS of the crosses , and my information if they needed any more details on the area.
    Srupp

Logging will only stop when their are no trees left. Pine maturity is around 90 to 120 years .. companies will not wait that long we are already logging 60 year old plantations.. once logged 3 times the site is no longer viable for planting or logging the soil has been denuded of nutrition and becomes essentially sterile
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

As much as we love to hate our current Provincial Govt for taking away our grizzly hunt and other things, the previous govt absolutely gutted the Forest Practices Code.
    Was talking to a now-retired former senior forester and he and his senior coworkers were absolutely appalled by our previous govt’s lack of respect for OUR forests. It’s one thing to support the resource sector but to do it without concern for the environment is a completely different matter.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    As much as we love to hate our current Provincial Govt for taking away our grizzly hunt and other things, the previous govt absolutely gutted the Forest Practices Code.
    Was talking to a now-retired former senior forester and he and his senior coworkers were absolutely appalled by our previous govt’s lack of respect for OUR forests. It’s one thing to support the resource sector but to do it without concern for the environment is a completely different matter.

SSS
    That was glen Campbell’s doing.. he gave all control over to the mills to do what they saw fit. I was still working in the Bush then. We could have controlled the beetle with fire but secretly it was allowed to spread ... salvage logging = low stumpage and raw log exports to the chinks a big boost to the bc economy at a time when our economy was slowing. We burnt more money doing fall and burn and hack and squirt it was ridiculous. Never made a dent it was all about optics trying to make it look like we were working to control it... all the while. Don’t ever trust your government they are greedy and lie through their teeth in the name of G.D.P that’s all that matters . The more wealthy a country is the more powerful we are and the more power we can wield over other countries.
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

The acceptable term is 'CHINESE', NOT 'chinks', so smarten up, eh.