Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging damage..grrr

Re: Logging damage..grrr

Just so that I'm clear.... You are continually complaining that there is no game left in the area due to Indians and all the easy access, but now you are mad that a bunch of roads are blocked off and you can't access a bunch of ground with your pickup and 26' holiday trailer?

The 'new-age' RPF's will no doubt disagree . . . . but, when slash was burned rather than wasting time and diesel fuel to build burn piles, the cut block would 'green-up' with fireweed quickly. Birds, bugs, ungulates, bruins were drawn to this readily available food source, and it was much easier for the tree planters to do a good job. The new seedlings weren't heat/sun killed as easily with the fireweed cover. The way it's done now, the slash is a 'moon-scape for 3+ years, a higher % of new plantings die of heat/sun, it looks a mess, the logging contractor spends more time/money complying with the 'new-age' wet behind the ears RPF's . . . . Keep smilin'

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    The 'new-age' RPF's will no doubt disagree . . . . but, when slash was burned rather than wasting time and diesel fuel to build burn piles, the cut block would 'green-up' with fireweed quickly. Birds, bugs, ungulates, bruins were drawn to this readily available food source, and it was much easier for the tree planters to do a good job. The new seedlings weren't heat/sun killed as easily with the fireweed cover. The way it's done now, the slash is a 'moon-scape for 3+ years, a higher % of new plantings die of heat/sun, it looks a mess, the logging contractor spends more time/money complying with the 'new-age' wet behind the ears RPF's . . . . Keep smilin'

Road side processing vs. bucking on the landing.... Have to pile the roadside work areas to reduce slash loading. Its a difference in harvesting systems....

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Road side processing vs. bucking on the landing.... Have to pile the roadside work areas to reduce slash loading. Its a difference in harvesting systems....
    ​Have done both . . . .

Just so that I'm clear.... You are continually complaining that there is no game left in the area due to Indians and all the easy access, but now you are mad that a bunch of roads are blocked off and you can't access a bunch of ground with your pickup and 26' holiday trailer?
    It kind of does sound that way. Was thinking the same thing myself. But in all fairness to Steve, maybe he did not mean to across that way. Perhaps he's upset that the area has been messed up so bad that it's almost inaccessible to anyone, for any reason. I'm open to here his view on this.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdon View Post
    It kind of does sound that way. Was thinking the same thing myself. But in all fairness to Steve, maybe he did not mean to across that way. Perhaps he's upset that the area has been messed up so bad that it's almost inaccessible to anyone, for any reason. I'm open to here his view on this.

Which is why I asked...

I know up North the local bands have asked that access be reduced in the same manner to reduce poaching and hunting access in core critical use areas. All part of the prescription by the Licencee now.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    ​Have done both . . . .
    Then you would know that the "time and diesel wasted" is covered off in the log rate and the contractor is compensated for that time and diesel and it isn't out of pocket by the contractor.

Expect more and more forest in BC to be lost.
    These idiots are exporting timber as so call Biomass fuel, which is basically burning wood to generate energy.
    I had no idea that they were hiding deforestation as "Biomass fuel".
    What a crock.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Just a thought...... is there any chance the quad/sxs trails had dirt piled on them to keep people off of them
    while they were logging the area.

I dont know how any of you took Rupps post as “ poor me, my hunting area is destroyed “. Sounds to me like a guy who was disappointed to find out that a game rich area, that he loved, had be flattened by logging. Which has also left roadside camping areas unusable and trails impassable.....or maybe I’ve just miss understood all of Rupps posts and his generosity over the last 8yrs

Which is why I asked...

I know up North the local bands have asked that access be reduced in the same manner to reduce poaching and hunting access in core critical use areas. All part of the prescription by the Licencee now.
    Hmm there are 2 areas..
    1..anything west of williams lake..Indian influence..not much game..the 24 hrs day 365 does diminish numbers radically.
    2..east of williams lake..likely..horsefly..really beautiful friendly places with plenty of big game, small game..lush tranquil, just to camp..fish..with no indian influence..of any kind.
    When David Marsh wanted to get away..and see some bears..here is where I brought him..he could not believe how he relaxed from his stressful life..I as a Paramedic would just go here to camp..after particularly horrific incidents I witnessed on the front line..there were numerous pull outs onto crown land that Susan and Brandy..then Morgan..now Ebony would walk down trails roads or sit on the edge of the lake close by..
    We took Susans Mom to the top of the mountain to see horsefly lake, Quesnel lake the beautiful snow capped Cariboo mountains
    I have harvested grouse, rabbits..the singular best rabbit area I know.period.black bears..too many to count. .moose, some big deer..
    The area is the only access by land to numerous cabins, summer homes..
    It has an extensive cross country ski trail system..
    It holds a myriad of small back trails to access the lakes.mountains and next valleys...sometimes I would go 7 days without seeing anyone in spring..in fall deer season..every other day or so a vehicle...
    Yes I know these guys are on tough times..was only 10...12.. $ million in logging equipment sitting in a row awaiting restart.
    I'm sure there will be some attempt at cleanup..there are a lot of huge piles to be burned..it obviously was done the cheapest way..I have seen San Jose block off entire areas they were logging..couldn't get through to go beyond..first on black creek..then on view land. .
    In 9 kms Susan and I went..no there was not 1 location 26 feet to park the TT" for recreation.
    I know it means nothing to them and holds no importants..there are 3 grave markers further along commemorating the lives of 3 of Horseflys pivotal individuals ....a place where they wanted to spend eternity..was a good choice.beautiful.quiet...I didn't go as far as the Clarke's crosses..so don't know how far the logging went..or will go..
    there are in fact few locations like this..hence why I constantly went back.
    Every other use seems precluded from here for years ?
    There is one small hole in the canopy at a location..looks like nothing..huge mound of dirt dumped/ dug to obviously block what leads to a 30 km trails.hmm $ so tight why block it ? No trees were cut within 100 yards.
    I wasn't upset so much as devestated by the absolute constant destruction in 7 kms in all directions..and the amount of logs left piled high..this was not high value timber cut.perhaps selective logging. .

Perhaps it's because the west..over the Fraser is not worth going..that what's left to the east means so much more..

Grieving the loss of a good friend of some 25 years...

Sportsmen covet, respect these places..mourn their loss..
    this was a special place..
    Srupp