Thread: Motor Flushing

Motor Flushing

What's the consensus about flushing your motor after running in the salt water then traveling upriver for a half hour being that salt water has a higher density than fresh water.

I'm talking in my case of fishing the Sandheads [Frazer river mouth] and using the boat launches in Ladner.

Even flushing the kicker at or prior to the boat launch.

High tide/low tide?
    Lean it on your trailer hitch and whack it with any hammer you have. That usually knocks the front ramp off so you can then work on the sight easier. The stripped or broken screws can be dealt with later. Gun Tech

there was bright white light just in front of me and I was pretty sure my dead grandmother was standing there with a glass of milk and some home made cookies. Steve W

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Motor Flushing

At the depth the intakes are on an outboard I don't believe it would make a difference. Even at Sandheads there will be some fresh water on top. Worked on fishing boats for years and always settled a fair amount heading up river with a load at various stages of the tide.

I'd just flush it anyways, especially if the tide is coming in and the current is going up

Flush it. The Fraser has lots of silt that I would want out my engine

Like you I launch in Ladner and fish Sandheads. I have two Yammys with flushing connections. I flush with Saltaway after each trip using the flushing connection (not the clamshell fitting). Works for me.

I have owned various motors and always flushed after salt or any type of dirty water

Yip. Always flush when coming out of salt or the fraser.

not only the salt but what about the green shite that always on your boat hull and inside the engine when you run the lower part of the river
    I feel more like i do now than i did before i got here

Quote Originally Posted by blaine View Post
    not only the salt but what about the green shite that always on your boat hull and inside the engine when you run the lower part of the river
    No worries that is just sewage slime from up river!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"