Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bear fat

bear fat

hi everyone
    Can anyone tell me why all the bear sausage recipes that I find call for pork fat instead of using bear fat? I always render down my bear fat, and the lard from it is as good as anything you can by, so it seems to me it should be good for sausage as well. thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bear fat

Other than the chances of them just copy and pasting their venison recipe... it could have a bit to do with the melt point of bear fat. It becomes liquidy(greasy) at a lower temp than pork fat. I’ve split the difference with good results. When grinding for burgers I usually shoot for 10-15% bear fat to meat ratio and throw a bit of bacon in the grinder with it. I like a greasier burg though.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway View Post
    Other than the chances of them just copy and pasting their venison recipe... it could have a bit to do with the melt point of bear fat. It becomes liquidy(greasy) at a lower temp than pork fat. I’ve split the difference with good results. When grinding for burgers I usually shoot for 10-15% bear fat to meat ratio and throw a bit of bacon in the grinder with it. I like a greasier burg though.
    I also noticed that bear fat in sausages goes rancid after some time and can ruin the meat.....
    I just render it ....its awesome for all purposes.

how about if you render it, then mix it in the sausage. I was thinking about trying that

I wonder if bear fat would go rancid sooner because it doesn't have as many chemicals in it
    Quote Originally Posted by nuadixion View Post
    I also noticed that bear fat in sausages goes rancid after some time and can ruin the meat.....
    I just render it ....its awesome for all purposes.

To me it is the added flavor. Brown a piece of bear fat and taste the fried bit. Then brown a piece of pork fat and taste the fried bit.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

According to a few butchers I know, all wild animal fat will go rancid, even in the freezer, this is why the good ones trim away all of the game fat and add pork fat where needed (burger, sausage etc). I have no idea what rendering the fat would do but I've heard one should render bear fat several times for the best outcome.

Thumbs down Re: bear fat

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    ... I have no idea what rendering the fat would do but I've heard one should render bear fat several times for the best outcome.
    Not at all necessary.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I render bear fat once, but I boil it instead of frying it like some folks do, It comes out as white as snow and keeps for years without going rancid. I cut most of the fat off moose, deer, mountain goat, but what was left on has never gone rancid in the freezer in the last 55 years that I have been doing it

Thumbs up Re: bear fat

Quote Originally Posted by argyle1 View Post
    I render bear fat once, but I boil it instead of frying it like some folks do, It comes out as white as snow and keeps for years without going rancid.
    Yep: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?148937-Rendering-Bear-Fat

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me