Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Region 6 archery moose.

Region 6 archery moose.

Looks like the moose archery hunt now is all LEH. Very low authorization numbers too I wonder what the odds will be for this. Almost thinking the odds will be lower for the general LEH I’m most zones? Any thoughts on this anyone?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 6 archery moose.

I think it's a dangerous precedent. We're losing BOS seasons elsewhere. BC doesn't put the effort into inventory and harvest data to make sound wildlife management decisions. It's easier to manage hunters through LEH than to work toward viable wildlife populations.

Yes. I also wonder how many people that hunt with crossbows will put in for this and when the new regulations come out scopes could be banned. Thank you B.C for giving these people little to no information to make informative decisions.
    but On the bright side LEH is open

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I think it's a dangerous precedent. We're losing BOS seasons elsewhere. BC doesn't put the effort into inventory and harvest data to make sound wildlife management decisions. It's easier to manage hunters through LEH than to work toward viable wildlife populations.

Hhmm, been on the site just a short while but have followed it for many years. Looking at some of your previous posts, you strike me as a tradition bow guy who was kinda pushing for restrictions on xbow users, might not have worked in your favor

No the outlook for moose hunters is not good. 3 total draws for bull moose in 6-04, but 18 archery draws? WTH? We have just pivoted to archery hunting as a priority?
    I normally would head north for GOS but I guarantee that will be shut down by FN this year.
    Majorly depressed.....
    might end up as a goat hunter after all

Quote Originally Posted by The Donald View Post
    Hhmm, been on the site just a short while but have followed it for many years. Looking at some of your previous posts, you strike me as a tradition bow guy who was kinda pushing for restrictions on xbow users, might not have worked in your favor
    You're right. You dont know me.

I am very disappointed. All the changes that I strongly opposed regarding moose hunting seasons in Region 6 have been implemented. It boggles my mind that a hunter who resides in Smithers must travel 6+ hours to be able to hunt moose during the rut. That's IF GOS in northern portion of Region 6 hasn't been shut down which it will be, if not this year than very soon. You can't have a 3 day GOS in one part of the region and 2 months+ GOS in another. It seems obvious.

Three day general open rifle season sucks. It's well past the rut. A single storm system instantly wipes out your moose 'season'. Last year I hunted 6-9 for one day and spend the other two days watching freezing rain and sleet blow parallel to the ground. Then we went home. That was the GOS.

October bow season was the only opportunity for hunters to get out there during prime rut and actually have moose talk back to them. Now bow and gun seasons are all within the same LEH system, meaning that most years you ain't getting either. Explain this to me. There are a 150 rut-time rifle LEH tickets in 6-09. There are 32 archery tickets and the season is a week shorter. I can only apply for one of them. How can I justify applying for an archery hunt? F**k, we wouldn't want more than 32 archers wandering around a land area the size of Belgium during the same 19 day period! Think of the crowds! What if the chosen 32 buck the odds and actually kill a moose?

An honest question to folks living in Region 6 that really did not want to give up scopes on their crossbows. Are you applying for archery LEH or gun LEH this year?

I worked up in Smithers and hazelton... aka the asshole of the world lol the moose get pounded by the natives up there the C.Os office used to post notices in town asking people not to harvest moose in January and February apparently the unborn fetuses of cow moose are a delicacy to the natives up there. I hate to say it but for all the preaching I do in this case natives really are the hardest thing on our moose decline with logging a close second. If I were native I could have dropped 6 moose myself this year no problem.. so think about that
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Take note for all those who put in for 6. There isn't much for animals around, look at the restrictions that have taken place over the last couple years, down to a 3 day open season.

Oh well..... 5 and 6 down. Only 6 more to go !
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER