Thread: Pre-rut moose calling?

Pre-rut moose calling?

I'm still under the 3-year curse for moose draws, but I'm going to apply anyway.

But what I was wondering was if I got the Sept. 10 to 30 draw again like last time if cow calling maybe wasn't the best strategy before September 26.

I know after Sept. 26 last time two years ago in region 5 I started to get some ploughed up ground action where I had a mare's urine stink bomb hanging and finally had a bull moose respond to cow calling, but only very close to the end of the month.

Anyway, I didn't end up with a moose that trip, but since then I have read that using bull moose grunts and raking trees with a scapula in the pre-rut might get a bull to come in more than a cow call.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pre-rut moose calling?

That draw isn't the best, why not put in for a better one, when the rut is on it's way more fun to hunt the beast of moose.

Odds, odds, odds.

I'm on reduced odds already and the odds are better to get the earlier draw.

Besides, I like the camping and moose hunting part, it's not that important for me to kill a moose.

My wife really doesn't eat that much meat any more. She likes it, is a great butcher, but when we thaw out one package of meat we will eat off it for two days if not three.

I got two deer in 2018 and a small bear in 2019 plus some ducks and geese and I still have enough meat in the freezer to see me through to Christmas.

Sept draw..find water..wind..as heat and bugs will keep them trying to stay cool and not driven crazy by bugs.
    Sept finds bulls determining who is the biggest and baddest...here in the Cariboo not really thick with moose per square km.
    Moose eat plant life in ponds the nutrients helps build antler growth..Sept still finds them waist deep munching vitamins. .
    If on diminished odds try for Sept. .more tags offered"
    Srupp

Lived in PG and the biologist of the day did a study on Taber Mtn east of town and moose were communicating in Aug, the frequency elevated in Sept.

Ive cow called bulls in to bow range on several occasions as early as Sept 19. Last week of Sept is our go to time, we've had 8 bull draws the last 12 years (beat the 3 yr reduced odds the last 2 draws we had), 7 bulls harvested in Sept, all called in in the thick second growth, 6 harvested within 35 yds, one at 120 yds, most common date is Sept 23 latest 26th, mostly cow calls but need to be ready to change to bull grunts depending on bulls reaction to the cow call. I would jump at better odds on a hunt to sept 30th!!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Earliest I’ve been able to call out a bull was sept 9 near Tumbler Ridge, around PG best I’ve been able to do was Sept 16, took two hours after he answered the first time but he finally walked out just before dark. Usually starting the last week of Sept it is more consistent. I’m certain they start well before mid sept, however they are a lot more willing to walk out in the open for a look as the season progresses.

I haven’t had a draw for 13 years, and it certainly ain’t for a lack of applying.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Lived in PG and the biologist of the day did a study on Taber Mtn east of town and moose were communicating in Aug, the frequency elevated in Sept.

Ive cow called bulls in to bow range on several occasions as early as Sept 19. Last week of Sept is our go to time, we've had 8 bull draws the last 12 years (beat the 3 yr reduced odds the last 2 draws we had), 7 bulls harvested in Sept, all called in in the thick second growth, 6 harvested within 35 yds, one at 120 yds, most common date is Sept 23 latest 26th, mostly cow calls but need to be ready to change to bull grunts depending on bulls reaction to the cow call. I would jump at better odds on a hunt to sept 30th!!
    Holy cow, what luck. 1 bull draw the last 21 years here. I live in 7-7, it would be nice if the 'locals' could have a little more luck in the LEH draws.

From my many years of moose hunting I've learned that the boys are ready before the girls are..I used to hunt the 1st two weeks of Oct for years ...Then got educated on the last two weeks of Sept ..Had bulls coming in hot to trot ..I hunted up north mainly ...Dennis..

I like the pre rut the best. Used to go for the first two weeks of Oct. When they shut that time slot down we started going the last two weeks of Sept.
    What a difference!!! The bulls are fat and do not stink! Used to be hard to wash the stink of your hands on the Oct. boys with good strong soap!