Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Charter Services in northern BC

Air Charter Services in northern BC

Hello all…

I’ve noticed over the years the number of air charters flying into northern BC lakes has declined, most recently the demise of Atlin Air, and that many of the remaining charter companies have been purchased by outfitters. In some cases, the lack of completion allows the remaining air charter companies to charge what seems like excessive fees.

So I have two questions for you:

First if you had a choice between flying with a outfitter owned charter company versus a non-outfitter affiliated company, everything else being equal, which would you prefer to fly with?

Second, for much of the north, there is typically only one air charter company operating in any given area. Would you like to see more completion between air charter companies in northern British Columbia?

I’m happy to hear any other thoughts you have on the availability, cost and quality of air charter services in northern BC…

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Air Charter Services in northern BC

If there was $$ in it there would be more competition. I would rather fly with the non-outfitter, but I understand why the outfitters and aviation companies team up. With a 185 at $200K+operating costs things get expensive in a hurry.

Hey msawyer why ask rhetorical questions? Ha.
    I assume you are considering a foray into the business, or someone close to you is, as you’ve offered float plane time here in past.

A - I’m sure all of us would prefer using an independent charter vs an outfitter in a conflict of interest, for several reasons all of which have been beat to death on this site in past.
    I certainly chose independents for my fly ins, although even they were doing some work for outfitters even if not owned by them.
    B - competition is always good for the consumer. End of story.
    C - experience of pilot played in with my past choices too. I happily paid an extra $1 per mile for an experienced backcountry pilot vs the alternative

I’m a little out of touch with current rates, haven’t flown in a few years. I think I paid $10 per mile last time I went, what are guys charging now?
    Twist and pull.

It is true that charter rates are getting pretty extreme. Fact of the matter is, they are reasonable when you think about it. There are really only 1.5-2 months a year when they are busy. They do decent business through the summer, busy during hunting season and basically nothing the rest of the year. They have to cover all their fixed costs in that very short season. If there was money in it there would be competition with the outfitters.

As far as favouring outfitter or not, it doesn't matter to me as long as they're willing to fly me into the lake I want to get to, which isn't always the case. Problem is, even if they aren't the outfitters, they are often the outfitters neighbour, friend or client, so the conflict remains.

Competition is always good, but I don't think the business is big enough to support it.

Having hired both in the past I would lean towards the non-outfitter associated business based entirely upon what I have experienced on my past trips. Without going into details on a public forum, there were simply fewer headaches.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Having hired both in the past I would lean towards the non-outfitter associated business based entirely upon what I have experienced on my past trips. Without going into details on a public forum, there were simply fewer headaches.
    i have had the complete opposite experience. Have a good rapport with the outfitter based charter but not so much with another guy to the east.

Has anyone contacted the flight services to see if they are even going to operate this year. Outfitters might not, so if the service is relianrt on that business they might not even puit them in the water. Also, with the social distancing measures and only hunting with people in your household that might furthure diminsh the amount of buisiness they can do. Not sure how you put 3 people and a pilot in a beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Confused1 View Post
    Has anyone contacted the flight services to see if they are even going to operate this year. Outfitters might not, so if the service is relianrt on that business they might not even puit them in the water. Also, with the social distancing measures and only hunting with people in your household that might furthure diminsh the amount of buisiness they can do. Not sure how you put 3 people and a pilot in a beaver.
    2 in the front 2 in the back

Or charter an otter and ride in a float compartment.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Lots of Government work what used to be Fixed wing work is nowadays done by Chopper which is far more safer and effective especially in BC. Unfortunately Regulations in BC don't allow utilization of Rotary wing for hunting Purposes. This may change in the future but as far as I know is presently not a priority for the Provincial Government.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

They’ll be flying out of Dease confirmed