Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Bison Zones ?!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: New Bison Zones ?!

In 2013 I left my travel trailer in there for 2 weeks due to snow and 8km hill....was still in Fort nelson back then so was no big deal to go back and retrieve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RambleOn View Post
    There is a long steep hill on an ugly road. Once iced up it is a mess. Depending on your rig it may be literally impossible to get out. Tow company has a jumbo triple axle but they have to come a long way and it isn't cheap.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    In 2013 I left my travel trailer in there for 2 weeks due to snow and 8km hill....was still in Fort nelson back then so was no big deal to go back and retrieve it.
    I have heard that it doesn't matter about the snow or the hill you just need good chains

Quote Originally Posted by RambleOn View Post
    I have heard that it doesn't matter about the snow or the hill you just need good chains
    I wasn't going to go there but I'm glad you did haha. Gotta come 'prepared' right.

The new zone 7-42C is the western potions of the old zones A and B. There is no ATV or UTV vehicle access, as has been the case for many years. The Sikanni trail has always ended at Trible Creek and the Halfway trail has for many years ended just past Horse Camp. ATV and UTV access is limited to within 10 metres either side of these access trails. As in the past the only vehicle access is by snow machine. There may be a GOS season south of the Halfway River and along the Redfern trail (south to the height of land and North to the Besa River. https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/cont...one-boundaries
    The intend was to limit the range for Bison, particularly to the North to keep Bison of the Sheep range.

I guess my question would be: If you drew 7-42c could you stay at one of the cabin or lodge operations and sled to the area or is that just not feasible. It would seem to me that if sleds are the only option then nobody is going to apply for c. On the other hand if you have sleds and it’s possible why wouldn’t you ?

I harvested a Bison in 2018, in what is now 7-42c. Stayed at ranch and used snow machine and went a considerable distance past Trimble Creek. Made for a long day and got back after dark.

In our 2 October draws (1-15 OCT and 16-31 OCT) we stayed at the Horse Camp cabins. It was like HWY 1 on a weekday in the morning during the first week going by the cabins and not a single one parked their ATV, side x side or Samurai before the no vehicle border. Given the main trails are in the LEH zones and how much these animals dislike motors the majority of the GOS hunters are going to be blazing through LEH territory to get to the obvious spots south of the Halfway River. I want to put in for Zone C but given our experience with traffic in the October and January hunts I guess we have to see what the new General regs say...

Quote Originally Posted by JustinG View Post
    In our 2 October draws (1-15 OCT and 16-31 OCT) we stayed at the Horse Camp cabins. It was like HWY 1 on a weekday in the morning during the first week going by the cabins and not a single one parked their ATV, side x side or Samurai before the no vehicle border. Given the main trails are in the LEH zones and how much these animals dislike motors the majority of the GOS hunters are going to be blazing through LEH territory to get to the obvious spots south of the Halfway River. I want to put in for Zone C but given our experience with traffic in the October and January hunts I guess we have to see what the new General regs say...
    I though the majority of the trail from the Ranch to the Horse Camp was weight restricted. How was someone crusing around in a Samurai. Our SxS was barely legal weight when we went years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I though the majority of the trail from the Ranch to the Horse Camp was weight restricted. How was someone crusing around in a Samurai. Our SxS was barely legal weight when we went years ago.
    some people don't follow rules. They did up the weight but not enough for a samurai I bet...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    some people don't follow rules. They did up the weight but not enough for a samurai I bet...
    Yeah that's crazy. If I remember it was something like 12-1500lbs when we went. I could be wrong.