Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting and Fishing Declared Essential during Covid Pandemic

Hunting and Fishing Declared Essential during Covid Pandemic

A copy and paste of the BCWF press release in case you missed it:

April 22, 2020News & Updates

Hunting and Angling included in Essential Services

For Immediate Release

Over the past three weeks, the BC Wildlife Federation and partners have engaged various levels of government and the Provincial Health Officer to advocate the benefits of hunting, fishing and enjoying supernatural BC within the constraints of COVID-19.

In consultation with the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), the provincial government recently added hunting and fishing to the “List of COVID-19 Essential Services“.

This is great news, but also means we all need to be cognizant of how COVID-19 has changed responsible fishing and hunting practices.

“We are happy hunting and fishing are now listed as essential services. With this listing comes great responsibility and a degree of scrutiny; as responsible citizens and conservationists, we need to ensure these activities are conducted within the guidelines set out by the PHO,” said Bill Bosch, President of the BC Wildlife Federation.

British Columbia’s regulatory framework ensures licensed hunting and angling is sustainable. As we see an uptick in license sales, hunters and anglers should ensure they are familiar with the regulations.

The BCWF asks licensed hunters and anglers to inform themselves with regards to the PHO guidelines. Advice and information on hunting and fishing responsibly can be found on the BCWF website and the BC Government website.

Jesse Zeman, director of Fish and Wildlife Restoration, shares a few tips in this recent op-ed published in the Castanet.

The BC Wildlife Federation will continue to advocate on behalf of hikers, hunters and anglers with various levels of government.

The BCWF believes the provincial government should be finding ways to allow British Columbians to stay local, get outside safely and enjoy our public spaces, especially in provincial parks.

It is imperative that British Columbians have access to outdoor areas to secure healthy, organic protein, and give them a physical and mental reprieve from the effects of COVID-19.

Every year British Columbians purchase 110,000 hunting licenses, 280,000 freshwater angling licenses and 260,000 saltwater angling licenses.

Your fellow hunters and anglers are counting on you to be responsible, so that we can all enjoy these activities through these challenging times. Please stay safe, and be responsible.

Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting and Fishing Declared Essential during Covid Pandemic

Nothing there regarding hunting with buddies that you don't live with so I assume that is still going to be a recommendation? Not sure if COs will enforce that though?

Also, curious if that overrules the park closures for all the provincial parks that allow hunting during open seasons?

I think your assumption is correct. As this pandemic continues to evolve we're going to learn new ways to do old things. As of right now I think you and I could both hunt together with social distancing....once were out of the truck

Social distancing is, I believe, a recommendation but not an order. COs can't enforce a recommendation, and I think bylaw officers (and conceivably COs) can issue warnings and refer the information to health officials, who can levy fines. That said, I think that if people don't follow recommendations the Provincial Health Officer would issue an order. We've already seen those discussions when the pandemic started. It's smart to follow the recommendation whenever possible and reasonable.

I expect (but am just speculating) that rec sites and parks will re-open. If they do then following recommendations will be even more important.

Don't quote me - I'm not an expert!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Thanks Rob!

Glad to see you on HBC again!

Not sure if you fellas have seen Stone Sheep Steve’s thread on the same topic , but it seems that it is spelled out in the Orders and Guidance . What is law and what is not, I’m not a lawyer ! But there are some things in it that release that I feel need clarification . For one , What is considered Locally ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thank's BCWF for standing up for BC hunters. It is not often that any one acknowledges the good, But we are happy to slam them when they do something we dont agree with.

So if fishing & hunting are now essential then if some group or other tries to get it banned I wonder if this could be used to defend against such a ban

Totally agree Bernie...

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Nothing there regarding hunting with buddies that you don't live with so I assume that is still going to be a recommendation? Not sure if COs will enforce that though?

My take on this is you wont have any issues if you have separate vehicles and accomodations for non family members.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-27-2020 at 06:03 PM.

I have been in contact with BCWF regarding the Hunt Local definition . What does Local mean ? Again not trying to be a pain here but locally for some could include many options that will not be available to others . They mentioned something about putting up a FAQ page regarding questions .If someone has more information regarding this I would appreciate it .Maybe a member here has a contact with Fish And Wildlife .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !