Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asking for a friend - Livestock Guardians?

Asking for a friend - Livestock Guardians?

Hi all,

Making an inquiry for an acquaintance of mine. He runs a small hobby farm in the Okanagan and last night it sounds like a young cougar made its way into their pasture and killed a few animals. He contacted the CO and they chatted about it - I wasn't involved so I don't know what was discussed, however I know he doesn't want to take the "violent" route if he can avoid it. He asked if I knew where he could acquire livestock guardian dogs in BC?

Forgive my ignorance, I have no knowledge on this kind of stuff but figured this might be a good place to ask.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Asking for a friend - Livestock Guardians?

Great Pyrenees

you’ll never have another animal problem again.

I know a guy that has a livestock protection dog for his sheep. Works very well but it is clearly a work dog, nothing warm and fuzzy about it. Definitely not a housepet crossover. I don't think it is a Great Pyrenees but I don't know the breed.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Here is one

100 Mile House

https://www.facebook.com/freedomfarmbc/

There are lots of good livestock guardians, Anatolians, great Pyrenees, caucasian shepherds, hell even german shepherds.
    Each breed is different and bred for a different purpose.
    But the best thing is to contact each of the breeders you can find and find out from them what their dogs are good at.
    Some dogs are very aggressive (anatolians), some are pretty selective pyrenees etc.
    It all really depends on different situations. Size of property, structure, what's on it and so forth, what they are guarding against.
    Each dog is good at specific things, I don't think there is a dog that's best at everything.
    Also do you want one, or two dogs. At least two dogs is much better when guarding against dangerous animals, wolves, bears, cougars.
    Solo dog is really bait, if you ask me.
    I think even here on HBC there are cattle farmers that may have or know people with LGD breeds for sale.
    gcreek, maybe skinnercreek will have some feedback or know someone.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I met a guy in 100 mile who swore by donkey stallions said they were real aggressive towards wolves do not know about cougars

I’ve heard the same about donkeys. The 2 things our Great Pyrenees was scared of were thunder and big wild cats.

Donkeys have a natural hatred of canines and are great for guarding livestock don't know how they will make out with cougars ?

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Here is one

100 Mile House

https://www.facebook.com/freedomfarmbc/

There are lots of good livestock guardians, Anatolians, great Pyrenees, caucasian shepherds, hell even german shepherds.
    Each breed is different and bred for a different purpose.
    But the best thing is to contact each of the breeders you can find and find out from them what their dogs are good at.
    Some dogs are very aggressive (anatolians), some are pretty selective pyrenees etc.
    It all really depends on different situations. Size of property, structure, what's on it and so forth, what they are guarding against.
    Each dog is good at specific things, I don't think there is a dog that's best at everything.
    Also do you want one, or two dogs. At least two dogs is much better when guarding against dangerous animals, wolves, bears, cougars.
    Solo dog is really bait, if you ask me.
    I think even here on HBC there are cattle farmers that may have or know people with LGD breeds for sale.
    gcreek, maybe skinnercreek will have some feedback or know someone.
    All those breeds you mention are great guard dogs.
    I didn't know there are komondor dogs in 100 Mile, it's an ancient breed that is used to be outside in the coldest or hottest weather.
    They are very powerful and agile, a well muscled adult male can weigh up to 200 pounds, not afraid of wolves, probably cougars as well.
    But man those puppies are really cute.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Cougars won't stop till there is nothing to kill. Most dogs don't survive against a cougar. Unless there is 6 of them with neck protection.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
    I met a guy in 100 mile who swore by donkey stallions said they were real aggressive towards wolves do not know about cougars
    I have seen 2 mini donks(a gelding and a mare) put the run on a big cat that had the misfortune of killing a deer in their pasture. Just be sure you let the donkey get to now the animals they are to protect I knew of someone who bought a donkey and just threw it in with his sheep without introducing them properly. It wasn't pretty.
    Last edited by Iron.Bender; 04-22-2020 at 12:08 PM.
    Gone Hunting. Back soon to go Fishing