Re: HBC Spring Bear Contest 2020

Congrats ! All Nice BEARS ! RJ

Species: black bear
    Date of Kill: June 7
    Region: 3
    Weapon used: 308 mossberg
    Category entered: Firearm
    Short story: 4th day of the season. In a new area and reached the end of a beauty FSR that took me through rolling hills with nice grass and lots of wildflowers. When I reached the end it started to hail and it was noon, so we stopped for lunch to wait out the hail. A few mins later along comes a beauty boar that I dropped with a lung shot at 125 yards. Ran maybe 30 yards.

https://imgur.com/nB6oVbu
    https://imgur.com/xgApOlA
    https://imgur.com/zzbweRa
    Last edited by Bubbacanuck; 06-23-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Species: Black bear
    Date of Kill: June 20
    Weapon used: FNAR .308
    Category Entered: Firearm
    Photo:

Short Story: Last year was my first time chasing black bears and I didn't get anything; I was being a bit too picky. This year I just wanted to get the job done. I actually passed on this bear a number of times, but I kept it as a plan B while looking for something better. Couldn't close the deal on anything better, so I took this sow since we're at the end of the season. I'd spent a lot of time watching this bear on multiple days so knew she didn't have cubs. This was my first black bear, first harvest on a solo hunt, and first big game animal that I butchered myself. Spent fathers day cutting meat while my pops wrapped for me (big thanks to my dad).
    I'm still pretty new to hunting with only 2 deer and 1 black bear under my belt, but the hunting bug sure bit me good.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    We haven't done one of these in a long time. I thought 2020 would be a good year to get started again. Anyone that wants to donate a prize please let me know. We can have categories for whatever we get a prize for.

General Rules:

All entries must be BC wildlife. 1 bear = 1 ballot for the draw
    All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on this Contest thread.
    All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Apr 30/2020
    All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links to another HBC thread are acceptable.
    All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.
    Winners will be determined by random draw

Contest ends June 30/2020

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored.

Required Information

Species:
    Date of Kill:
    Region:
    Weapon used:
    Category Entered:
    (Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
    Photo:
    Short Story:

As always, I'll be soliciting donations for prizes. Please let me know if you have anything you can offer. Anything big or small accepted, with gratitude!

*****PLEASE READ THIS*******

Every year I discard entries from the contest, because they haven't followed the simple rules, and it's a real shame. Most of the discarded entries are because people post entries for their non member kids, wives or friends. (Not a member, can't participate, so get those people signed up! You have until end of September!)

Other common reason for discarding entry is when people just put a link in their post, with no photo or other information. There is a simple and easy to use format for entries, so please use it.

So get your relatives signed up, use the form, read the rules again to make sure your entry complies, and have fun!
    any winner(s) gate?

Quote Originally Posted by bottles View Post
    Species: Black bear
    Date of Kill: June 20
    Weapon used: FNAR .308
    Category Entered: Firearm
    Photo:

Short Story: Last year was my first time chasing black bears and I didn't get anything; I was being a bit too picky. This year I just wanted to get the job done. I actually passed on this bear a number of times, but I kept it as a plan B while looking for something better. Couldn't close the deal on anything better, so I took this sow since we're at the end of the season. I'd spent a lot of time watching this bear on multiple days so knew she didn't have cubs. This was my first black bear, first harvest on a solo hunt, and first big game animal that I butchered myself. Spent fathers day cutting meat while my pops wrapped for me (big thanks to my dad).
    I'm still pretty new to hunting with only 2 deer and 1 black bear under my belt, but the hunting bug sure bit me good.
    Beauty sow congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Beauty sow congrats!!
    I actually thought it was a boar from the face and build. Awesome bear!
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Beauty sow congrats!!
    Thanks, Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I actually thought it was a boar from the face and build. Awesome bear!
    I appreciate it.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

date of kill: may 17
    region: 8
    weapon used: pre 64 mod 1894 30-30
    Category: firearm
    Short story: Sitting in a cut hand calling, he came running out at about 400 yards, cut him off at 40 yards and brained him with grampas ol gun

^^^^^well done again dude congrats!!

Might be a bit late to the party but just saw this now!

Date of Kill: May 7th
    Weapon used: compound bow
    Category Entered: bow
    Short Story: had planned to backpack in a few KM and camp out for 3 days hunting feeding areas. This bear treed 20 yards from me 1.5km up 40 minutes into my spring bear season, couldn't pass up an easy solo pack out on day one.

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear