Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your quad breakdown kit?

What's your quad breakdown kit?

So I finally got a quad. Thinking of doing some exploring to some areas that would have taken me hours to hike through. None of my friends have any ORV's so tow out in the middle of the bush may be hard to find. What should I carry with me when I go do some spring scouting for fall hunting season?

Not really much I can do if something major breaks. What's worst breakdown you guys have had on your quads and how did you get it out?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What's your quad breakdown kit?

Tire plugs and a pump
    whatever u need to change a belt(if you have a belt)
    maybe one of those small boost packs. I don’t own one, but a few of the guys I work with have them. They’re good for a jumpstart or charging your phone. Maybe even power your unit back to town if it stops charging.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

On the air pumps look at the Zefal brands ... mini or micro pumps ... they stash away nicely
    And if you don’t have a winch I recommend a lightweight aluminum come along .

Have a look at the “Lug All “ brand Come along model 4000-20
    Last edited by Ferenc; 04-21-2020 at 02:13 AM.

Slime ATV pump..size of a couple packs of cigarettes, I seal mine in 4 mm chamber sealer bag so no water, moisture, mud..
    I was so impressed I bought a regular Slime pump for my truck..
    Extra spark plug, a Leatherman, spare fuses, quality tire plugs, tool, glue..replace tire plugs/ glue every so many years..has a shelf life.only had 1 flat in 25 years on original Honda tires..used a couple of plugs. .glue with duct tape on the outside..got me plenty of miles back to my truck and home. .replaced all tires with ITP ..now Traxion will be my next hunting tires....use studded Traxion tires for winter plowing.
    Srupp

A winch, and a couple tow straps, I echo the tire plug kit as well.

Good thread! Many have been done before but this is an important topic.

After a recent outing I have added a fire extinguisher to my box. So far I have owned 2 ATVs and both have caught fire. Luckily we were stuck in snow on the recent one and we were able to use a shovel. Could have been disastrous.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Tire plugs, compressor, zip ties and a first aid kit. I’d add more for any long rides but I don’t usually travel far.

Its not a break down kit but a cheap shower curtain they fold up small incase you get into a unexpected rain storm.
    A breakdown that we had on a guad once. We were both on the same atv. Its was spring bear hunting some snow in the area still. We crossed this creek you had to go down a little hill cross the creek and come up a little hill. The creek was about 8 feet across. We crossed it no problem. Went bear hunting.
    Well it was in the afternoon when we came back and that little creek was a roaring now. We went half way across and the atv just died. The boyfriend jump off I stayed on and put all the brakes on. As this creek goes down a hill. Well anyways we tried to get it out. We got it down the creek more and tied it up. Lots of big bouldars in this creek. We walked out 10 kms to the truck, Atv access only to the creek from the truck. Went home got my atv and went the next day and got the atv out. We used some come alongs rope and snatch blocks to get it out. I think it ended up being a blown fuse or a solenoid. So always be prepared for the unexpected.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Roll of mechanics wire....had to wire up a tie rod to get out of the bush on time.