Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best moose hunting tip..

Best moose hunting tip..

Hmm if I only had 1 tip on moose hunting ?
    hmm practice practice practice your moose calling...
    Best time to hunt moose is the rut...if you only get laid once a year..be there for THAT time..
    Get a KC Caplan 22 inch moose magnum call..fiberglass. .Cabelas"
    Use buck expert moose urine along with tampons..aka scent dispenser. .
    Moose find the females by listening for the cows calling..that's the first sense..
    eyes are 10 inches between...ears are 11 inches each...31..to 33 inches between ears...they can detect a cows call from at least 5 kms. In every direction..
    You can't walk that area in a week..nor hunt it in 3 weeks..
    Most moose hunts are messed up with too much travel making too much noise and leaving too much human scent.

Practice practice practice your cow calling. .
    Start at first light..first call 1/2 volume..the rest of the day as loud as you can..every 15 minutes by your watch. Time it..for a few reasons...
    You can't be too loud..
    Every 15 minutes.
    The better your calling the better your results
    Cheers
    Srupp

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best moose hunting tip..

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm if I only had 1 tip on moose hunting ?
    hmm practice practice practice your moose calling...
    Best time to hunt moose is the rut...if you only get laid once a year..be there for THAT time..
    Get a KC Caplan 22 inch moose magnum call..fiberglass. .Cabelas"
    Use buck expert moose urine along with tampons..aka scent dispenser. .
    Moose find the females by listening for the cows calling..that's the first sense..
    eyes are 10 inches between...ears are 11 inches each...31..to 33 inches between ears...they can detect a cows call from at least 5 kms. In every direction..
    You can't walk that area in a week..nor hunt it in 3 weeks..
    Most moose hunts are messed up with too much travel making too much noise and leaving too much human scent.

Practice practice practice your cow calling. .
    Start at first light..first call 1/2 volume..the rest of the day as loud as you can..every 15 minutes by your watch. Time it..for a few reasons...
    You can't be too loud..
    Every 15 minutes.
    The better your calling the better your results
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Great advise Steve. Nothing like being there when it all happens. It really is something.

I do 20 minute intervals by my watch.
    Find fresh tracks so you know one is around
    Play the wind and set yourself up for your best spot
    I think the biggest thing is calling in the same spot the night before until well after dark. Walk out with your headlamp on.

I don’t know if it made a difference, but last year it was really windy and I noticed a few fresh wolf tracks near us, so I started thinking the moose might be a little more spooked to be wandering around, so I bunked down beside a small pond and called a bull right up to the edge of the pond 70 yards away. So what I’m getting at is pay attention to the environment and adapt. Moose tend to go near water when in danger so I went with it. I also set myself up on the south end(I figured the moose was north of me) and actually called with the wind, which doesn’t make much sense, but I figured my call would travel further and be more beneficial than having it muffled. The moose ended up coming from the ne.

Just my take. Maybe I’m full of sh?t. Either way it seems to be working out for me
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I second practicing moose calls. My brother in law and I hunted this one area for 3 years. He kind of taught me how to hunt. He never called and would just wander around hoping to run into moose. We would either scare it away before we saw it or never run into anything.

The last 2 years I finally understood the importance of calling. I've called in a moose every year. Unfortunately it wasn't legal but at least we saw them.

It's funny how similar to singing it is. Some guys can get it down pat and other guys are tone deaf and you look at them like "are you hearing yourself? That sounds nothing like a moose".
    Last edited by bruce44; 04-20-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

They don’t call me moosinaround for nothing!!!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Good thread Steve.
    Even if you don't think Your good at calling try it. You never know.
    Be patient, and listen.
    Don't over call.
    I have found that the bigger bulls come in hot and heavy , but the smaller bulls are alot quieter and you don't even know that they are coming in until they are quite close.

We had moose humping around us in camp at night and it was interesting how erratic the cow was...the bulls were just eruhhh! and then smashing of branches, more smashing than calling but the cow was crazy...you really could do anything to imitate her and be confident a cow could sound like that...

Our problem was it was too warm during the day...the bulls would be 2000 ft up on a plateau (too far to pack) then come down at night to fight and hump when we couldn't shoot...we had one practically walk through camp after dark..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

When you hear a cow calling, really listen to the call, they can make some really weird noises and it's really important to try to duplicate them. It's the most fun that you can have moose hunting. I'v got a birch bark call that I made myself, outside bark to the inside. I also use moose scent (urine or synthetic urine) around where I'm calling to try to cover my scent, because you'll never know where their going to come from. Like Srupp says, Practice,practice,practice. Good Luck!

Hmmm Bustercluck
    windy days are tough..it limits the effective range your voice can carry
    I Prescout an area noting tracks..but tracks tell you where he was ..not where he is..never disappointed if I don't see tracks. .he will leave tracks when he comes to my call..
    Ponds are effective. .the bigger the opening the further your calling carries.

Bruce 44..it's like singing..I like that analogy..seen several guides with pissed poor calling..Hmmm anyone with access to a video camera..seriously. .you never were close..getting paid ? Yikes

Dabber" your don't over call ? Every 15 minutes by the clock..untill a bull grunt is heard..at 5 kms or so it sounds like a hammer hitting a steel grader blade. .no low tones heard. .as the bull gets closer. .you reply when he grunts..closer he gets soften your calls..I even turn and call behind my location..away from the bull..so he comes in but doesn't peg your exact location..
    Big bulls..small bulls some sneak in some come barking running in...
    Last few years more and more bulls call a couple times and go silent. .untill da da there they are..one explanation may be the proliferation of wolves..constant whugh" whugh" would locate a travelling bull to wolves..advertising moose buffet in isle 3..clean up..
    Electricdyck"
    Most often bulls up on plateaus are in the active mating cycle..I've seen up to 40 moose in such red light districts. .by active mating time most all fighting is done.
    Exception when a bull is challenged by an interloper...that's the only time I use a bull call when I see a bull with a bunch of cows..by using a bull call. .hey bud..I'm coming to kick your ass and steal your females. Cow calling is not effective..he already has a number of cows..he is happy smoking a cigarette..lol

ABC

I don't use moose pee exactly where I'm calling from..don't want them walking right up to me, or concentrating on my location..70 yards from tampon is quite close enough.

Cow calling. .nasal whining drawn out loud .AND the KC CA PL ING moose Horne is worth it.you don't get to be world champion moose caller for nothing..it allows volume. .tone....and nasal resonance.that comes from the chest of a cow that weighs 600 plus pounds.it allows you to be better sounding at greater distances..numerous times called moose out to easily identifiable locations..that when checked were in excess of 5 kms.
    Practice allows confidence..your doing the calling correctly..just needs a bull..constantly on the move during rut to come into range..
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 04-21-2020 at 02:25 AM.

My number one tip and absolute rule is:

Wherever you hunted and called in the evening you get back in that same spot the next morning.

I have numerous trail cam picks of bulls showing up to the calling spot the by the next morning. Also, I have spent evening hunts not hearing anything or hearing a distant grunt with darkness coming in then showing up in the same spot next morning and have the bull come right in.