Well my son and I had another great turkey hunt this spring. We located a few birds before the opener, and had a blind set up for opening day in a promising spot.

Morning broke with a steady drizzle, and the birds slept in an extra 45 minutes before the gobbling started as expected. About 25 minutes later, we watched them pitch down and the show began. A quick seniority discussion amongst the boys, and they all turned and started marching towards my decoy setup. Unfortunately they hung up at about 60 metres, and eventually just fed off to the south.

Later on, around 10am, several jakes and hens were approaching with 2 longbeards in tow. Of course rather than walk in front of us, they passed not 5 metres directly behind us. While they approached, I had my son lean out the side window, and when the 2 toms rolled by he let fly a perfectly placed arrow. The bird didn’t go 5 feet.

For the next hour, we watched ( and took video ) as several jakes took turns attacking, humping, and generally disrespecting the old boy who’d been kicking their assess for the last couple months. Unfortunately the other longbeard didn’t stick around, so I would have to wait for my turn. No big deal, we had one down on the opener and needed to get it cleaned and processed.