Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where are the feral pigs?

Arrow Re: Where are the feral pigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    Hey Nog, thanks for the positive friendly feedback.
    Didn't mean to come across quite as harsh as that sounded.
    Simply I am more than a little fed up with the BS being touted regarding these swine, here, Alberta and Saskatchewan.
    Apologies for being so gruff.

You don't anything about me or my life situation, so how can you say that I won't be heading over there in the next few years to hunt them? I have family in the PA and Meadow Lake areas. They know a couple of spots where there's good numbers of them. My uncle has a buddy at Twin Creeks ranch and they've hunted pigs together in the PA area. I will most DEFINITELY be going there and hunting for feral pigs with him in the next few years if I can get time off work. (Reality)
    You are publicly stating you are willing to break their game laws? Really??
    They made what you are so adamantly suggesting illegal for any but Saskatchewan residents years ago.
    Guess if you're comfortable ignoring that, carry on...

Please tell me who has put in more time than him in trying to understand their population distribution - I would love to know because I don't of anyone else has more experience.
    Both my Family, and my Lady's family lived in Saskatchewan for many years. All of hers still do.
    We both have life-long friends that are farmers and ranchers scattered widely over the province (especially so my wife's extended family).
    These number in the dozens upon dozens. You can add to that the great many landowners whose properties I hunted back then that went on to become fast and firm family friends that we will always maintain contact with.
    Many live right smack dab in so-called "hot zones" the prof notes as having "very high population numbers".
    Only one of those many folks actually living right there have EVER seen one - they ate it.

My father was a Dean at the same university this fellow is at.
    Many of my close friends still work at that same institute.
    Several are directly involved in wildlife, and wildlife studies.
    Collectively they will tell you this fellow is "a little off".

Between those two, and my personal experience on the ground, I have complete confidence suggesting the man tends to exaggerate.
    For rather obvious reasons.

No offense taken, and please understand, I mean none myself either.

Cheers,
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 04-25-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Where are the feral pigs?

The guy that can prove he is standing in BC and has a photo of an actual feral pig, or trail cam pics of them for more than a year will become a legend, until then, its all a myth. No one can produce actual proof, its all just I heard it from a guy who knows a guy. Its been this way for years, but then you will see guys on facebook that swear up and down there are populations yet they can offer no proof...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I was gifted a pile of old BC Outdoors; in one from the mid-eighties there was an article on a couple pigs around Harrison Lake.

Anyways, the biologist in the article stated that the forests in BC wouldn't support a population of wild pigs - not enough quality feed for them. I guess that makes sense correlated with how many bears there are in a given area. Not like there are "herds" of bears wandering around.

I've never in 25 years of being active in the bush seen a wild pig... Well maybe at a few bush parties when I was younger! LOL
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

12 years ago, there was a breakout of Russian Boar in central Alberta. They went feral very quickly and pretty much nocternal. The farmer in the area that raised Russian Boar, refused to take responsibility for them and said they were not his. I was in on taking out one VERY large boar, not the best meat, but edible. It took about 2 years to clean up the breakout, it's been 10 years since any boar were sighted...but apparently it's a hot spot.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    I was gifted a pile of old BC Outdoors; in one from the mid-eighties there was an article on a couple pigs around Harrison Lake.

Anyways, the biologist in the article stated that the forests in BC wouldn't support a population of wild pigs - not enough quality feed for them. I guess that makes sense correlated with how many bears there are in a given area. Not like there are "herds" of bears wandering around.
    Wild boars usually like beech and oak forests as that provides them with lot's of feed.
    Here in BC we don't have much deciduous forests, but farms of course attract them.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    I've never in 25 years of being active in the bush seen a wild pig... Well maybe at a few bush parties when I was younger! LOL
    Oh Quit it Buddy there's LOT's of PIG's in Langley and you know it ! lol RJ

According to the responses in this thread I should go buy a lottery ticket.

I've seen one.

I have relatives that are avid hunters who live in the "hot spot" in Saskatchewan. They have never seen boar tracks or sign, let alone a live one and do not understand why their area has been deemed a "hot spot".

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Oh Quit it Buddy there's LOT's of PIG's in Langley and you know it ! lol RJ
    there’s two and they are working it on the pole! Cash is low now a days!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...