Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brews 2019 two point Blacktail

Brews 2019 two point Blacktail

Figured I’d share one of my 2019 blacktail deer with everyone here.

I am fortunate to work in the forest daily and it sure helps find the pockets of blacktail deer around the fraser valley. Every season I shoot one smaller meet buck and hold out for a large one, sometimes I eat my second tag but this year I decided to use it on this guy as the season was dwindling down.

It was a wet day and I was cruising some timber before work started. I had found some big rubs in the area and knew there was a big buck around even though I hadn’t picked him up on my cameras. The rain was coming down hard and my sound was muffled by it. I was sidehilling on a maple slope with ferns up to my waste. I usually take three steps at a time then pause and look hard for 30 seconds before taking another three steps. Three quarters of the way across the slope I spot a deer bedded Looking down the steep bank at me. Just his head was showing and he was frozen like big blacktails do. They never move once spotted often giving you a good chance to measure them up. At first I said oh it’s just a two point to myself. But after seeing the height and width and the antler bases I realized this wasn’t your run of the mill two pointer.
    I raised the 6.5 Grendel and put the crosshairs under his chin and it was lights out.
    During the 40 yard climb up the hill I was second guessing my decision on a two point and was expecting ground shrinkage when I got to him. Fortunately when I got to him he was even bigger. It’s the best feeling when that happens as it’s usually the opposite for me. I snapped some quick photos and dragged him straight down to the road.
    My truck wasn’t too far back and I was able to dress him and get him in the truck whole. I got him home and hung him up. I caped him out and gave the cape to buddy who needed it. I took the meat to the local butcher and it dressed out at 145lb. Most two and three pointers weigh in at 100lbs.

I simmered the skull down and got it cleaned up. You can see his size next to a average young two point in one picture. Another picture is next to a 135” five point whitetail and another pic next to my 133” blacktail mount. I am very proud of this buck as it is really hard to get mature blacktails. Almost wishing I had of mounted him with my other one.

Gun used was a Maccabee slr in 6.5 Grendel using the 123gr eld-m. I’ve taken two deer with it so far and it really is a great deer round.

Pics to come as soon as I get it figured out

https://imgur.com/a/Gw2Ct1R
    Last edited by Brew; 04-19-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Brews 2019 two point Blacktail

What a beautiful and majestic animal. Congrats on a fine specimen, nothing like harvesting your own food.

This gives me motivation for this coming fall (hopefully)!

Damn nice buck. Look forward to seeing what ya pull out of there next year!

Hmmm very impressive..majestic looking buck. Thank you for sharing.
    steven

Nice! We need some good threads like this right now. You are lucky to work in the forest daily.

Having hunted those gray ghosts for many years. A mature buck like that is a real challenge.Good job Brew!

Very nice deer!!!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Heluva buck Brew! Well done.

Dandy Blacktail Brew....missed glassing sheep at the cancelled count with you and the gang this spring!

Thanks for sharing great story can anyone put up a pic lol