Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging Trucks a public danger

Re: Logging Trucks a public danger

On a more positive note, I have lost count of how many pickups I have pulled out of the ditch and got them on their way on the backroads and Hwy 37. I'm an a**hole like that

Quote Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
    I work in the bush, and have for 14 years. So many weekend warriors/general public don't know proper radio protocol. #1. Don't be a twat on the radio! A lot of people use the road channel as a BS channel, and chat all day dropping F bombs and other foul language. It makes it difficult to know where trucks are when it's busy, and if I go for a drive in the bush with my family I don't want to hear that crap! #2. Calling KM's isn't just so you know where others are, it's so you know when to get totally clear of the road. There are pullouts built for that purpose. They give plenty of room to clear all industrial traffic including 190,000 lb ore trucks or lowbeds with equipment on. The "loaded" vehicle always has the right of way, usually the one calling "down". If I am a pickup heading "down" and there is an "empty" logging truck heading up, technically I have the RoW, but I try not to be a douche in that situation and will pull over for the empty truck. Proper protocol is to GTFO of the way before the loaded truck gets there, not just slow down and expect to get past. The big trucks should be able to stay in the middle of the road. #3. As a courtesy, most vehicles with a radio will let each other know when they meet a vehicle without a radio.

Nothing is more annoying than on a Friday afternoon there are a pile of people heading to the bush with $100K camping rigs and whatever else, but no radio.
    I hear what your saying but funny thing most I hear using the road channel for BSing is the truck drivers, and no of a few cases where 2 truckers have had accidents with each other for talking on the radio, have also had them calling wrong km and roads. not a fan of others calling for vehicles with out radios unless they are together and really hate when truckers are on same road and are many kms apart but front trucker will say its all clear inbetween them, there is always lots of spur
    roads were another vehicle can pop out of on to many road.
    As some one else said always drive as there is some one else coming.

Black Owl next time you venture on a resource road you really should read the signs. Things like logging trucks have the right of way, you must yield to logging trucks are in bold print if you need more info than that read the smaller print, if you're still confused maybe look up the Forest Act or the Mining Act which ever the case may be. And btw the BCWF is not your personal assistant and setting industrial traffic laws isn't in their mandate.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

So the rules or SOP for my area go like this-You drive to road and weather conditions and assume that there is a logging truck around every corner,A radio is a devise that is used to help you but not to be relied on as they can fail and often do,That is why you drive to road and weather conditions.If there is b.s going on,On the radio and you need to call your km marker,Walk on them and make your call at least the vehicle that is a few km away will hear you and get out of the way.And for you guys running cheaper radios at least get a noise cancelling microphone,Nothing worse than trying to make out what someone is trying to say.One more tid bit-First vehicle on the bridge has the right of way.Last tid bit-There isnt a judge or a court in the land that will rule in your favor if the excuse you use for an accident is,I never heard them make there call onthe radio,You are suppose to drive to road and weather conditions,Same goes for ICBC.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro hunter View Post
    So the rules or SOP for my area go like this-You drive to road and weather conditions and assume that there is a logging truck around every corner,A radio is a devise that is used to help you but not to be relied on as they can fail and often do,That is why you drive to road and weather conditions.If there is b.s going on,On the radio and you need to call your km marker,Walk on them and make your call at least the vehicle that is a few km away will hear you and get out of the way.And for you guys running cheaper radios at least get a noise cancelling microphone,Nothing worse than trying to make out what someone is trying to say.One more tid bit-First vehicle on the bridge has the right of way.Last tid bit-There isnt a judge or a court in the land that will rule in your favor if the excuse you use for an accident is,I never heard them make there call onthe radio,You are suppose to drive to road and weather conditions,Same goes for ICBC.
    Yup^^^^^^

Very few radio controlled roads, usually only on private land like a mine site. Anything on crown land is typically radio assist.

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    I bought an iCom for about $400, programming included.

Canyon 2-Way Radio
    Mike ~ Hope, BC

or

Freeway Radio
    Mt. Lehman, Abbotsford, BC
    Cool, thanks I might check those out, though a little far from Kelowna. Will look in the classifieds...

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Hey josh I purchased an 8 channel Kenwood at VMR Communications on Waddington drive here in Vernon. I'm sure there is/are similar business(es) in Kelowna. It is not programmable in the field as Industry Canada policy dictates. VMR programmed the channels for me & technically I have to take it back to them for reprogramming at a fee. Any business selling these can advise you of requirements with regard to licensing & legal use. I maintain a license for my radio which costs about $50 per annum. Small price to pay for added safety. I backcountry ski tour & it also comes in handy on those trips as most lodges use VHF as their primary means of communication.

A number of years ago I purchased a set of Baofengs which have many more channels. The 8 channel Kenwood is better quality & was costly in comparison, but I've found 8 channels insufficient during my travels.

Here's a link to get you started on info re protocols etc.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...communications

As others have mentioned, radio is no absolute guarantee with regard to safety. I had to take a snowbank one winter going ski touring up Gorge Creek FSR when a loaded truck came around a corner. I had been calling my position but driver radioed to base he didn't hear my calls. I heard no calls from him prior to the incident. Base confirmed to the driver that I had been calling. I was able to back out & continue, close call. No hard feelings, I was simply glad there was no collision as I would have certainly lost that scenario. Certain activities that we undertake carry a higher risk. It's in our own best interest to take responsibility & do what we can to stay safe.

Yelling & cussing at BCWF to 'educate' professional drivers will accomplish what exactly? In my experience, encounters with truckers on FSRs have been professional, no asshats to date. Clearly there are some yahoos out there, on both sides, but so far so good in my travels.
    Tanks for the info, I'm going to have to dive into this as this is all Greek to me right now, didn't realize there was a license as well... I'm hoping I can dig up something used for a good price (under $200)... but don't even understand what programming it means, so will have to learn a little more before I buy something..

Thank you!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

We used radios last year, pulled over to the side as the big trucks came close, and they appreciated it.
    Made driving the roads a lot more enjoyable.
    We quickly called out are km, each one, in and out.
    If your are in a pickup, say pickup, if its a suv, say suv, so they know when they go by you.

But yes, there will be other trucks that dont use the radio, so you still need to use caution the whole time.

It does seem though, that a lot more back road users do have the radios, and are listening and calling.
    I guess that is the advantage about radios like baofeng being cheap enough that a lot more folks are buying them.

Also, we did have 1 logging truck come around a corner, and he hadnt been calling his km, or very little.
    You would have thought us calling ours would have given him the heads up, but he looked surprised.
    But, only that one time all week, otherwise, it was great to have the radios.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Tanks for the info, I'm going to have to dive into this as this is all Greek to me right now, didn't realize there was a license as well... I'm hoping I can dig up something used for a good price (under $200)... but don't even understand what programming it means, so will have to learn a little more before I buy something..
    Thank you!
    As it stands now there are 35 different channels assigned to 'Resource Roads' in BC, RR01-RR35. If you have an 8 channel radio, depending on your travels, it may need to be reprogrammed with the proper frequency for the road you are traveling on. Use of user programmable radios is not permitted. As I mentioned in my previous post, technically I have to take my 8 channel Kenwood to the shop I purchased it from to have the channel frequencies reprogrammed. Many of the Baofengs are user programmable, therefore not permitted. They also have well over 100 channel capacity, so you can have all the RR channels on there, no need to program in the field.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf11127.html

I followed this thread. Didn't respond, as i didn't want to be judged for beating up the OP. It would help if the poster also gave his provincial location. Too often people have something to share or resolve on here, but without the location, it's often difficult to put things into context. Quite a difference between logging on the Island (private land), logging in the cariboo and north, and the Kootenay. Koothunter has provided the best overview. The road may be on crown land, but the Licencee holds the Road Use Permit. Basically meaning they are responsible for the road and it's theirs to use. A second user can obtain a road use agreement from the permittee which generally means they are prepared to share in the maintenance of the road. But recreation users are always at the graciousness of the industrial user. Abuse the privilege, and roads will be shut to recreational use.

I purchased a multi channel Tad radio a while ago, and it does provide an additional element of safety when traveling the backroads. So does finding a trucker pulled over and stopping to talk to them about the number of vehicles to expect and time of day when the road is most in use.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    The road may be on crown land, but the Licencee holds the Road Use Permit. Basically meaning they are responsible for the road and it's theirs to use. A second user can obtain a road use agreement from the permittee which generally means they are prepared to share in the maintenance of the road. But recreation users are always at the graciousness of the industrial user. Abuse the privilege, and roads will be shut to recreational use..
    Not quite correct JT. The secondary user is also required to get a Road Use Permit from the ministry. Then the ministry will determine one user to be the primary, all others will be secondary. Users will usually then enter into some kind of road use agreement regarding maint cost. This is only applicable to FSRs. Industrial users may also hold Road Permits for spur or branch roads. No RUP for those but there are maint responsibilities for those roads too.