Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging Trucks a public danger

Re: Logging Trucks a public danger

I had a couple close calls and once if I didn't drive into the ditch the truck would have smoked me .
    I have seen way too many times trucks barrelling down the middle of the road, not slowing down even a bit and you better get out of the way.
    All you defending these actions maybe have a dog in this fight?
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

For whatever it's worth: There are always A...holes on both sides of every fence. JUST got back home from a scouting trip and had some pretty nice run-ins with a logging crew and their trucks. They stopped me for a chat/advise, they moved their equipment for me so I could pass, and were generally a pleasant bunch. Just a thought: If you have issues with one specific area/logging/mining site, give the company a call and let them know? Certainly can't hurt....

Worked in Forestry for 40 years. When driving on roads with logging trucks, gravel trucks, low beds etc, having a radio was important, but the rule always was don't drive by the radio, expect a truck around every corner. Heavy trucks/equipment always had the right of way. As others have pointed out, the roads were built for timber extraction. As rather be fishing said there is always the odd a hole, but for the most part the truck drivers are good guys, professional and most importantly trying to earn a living in a safe manner.

I've had more issues with highway rigs than off road rigs.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

I love these types to threads. There are definitely good and bad drivers in the cities, on the highways and in the bush.
    I’m a logging supervisor for a larger forest company. The companies (forestry and mining) do build and maintain the industrial rds for their use, but they are also for the use of all the public that want to use them when on public land. When a forest company is using a rd then the public that wants to also use that rd should be aware that there are dangers associated with that, mainly big ass trucks that can run you over. It is always very appreciated when public users do have radios and abide by the rules for the industrial road/ work site.
    99% of the time the truck drivers I deal are great, they respect other vehicles and use the radio to call and slow down, but there is always that 1% that might be having a bad day or is just an ass. It’s no different than driving on any other road in the city, highway or bush.
    Close calls and accidents happen, but we who are out there are trying to reduce and eliminate them. It’s a challenge though when mixing the public into a work situation. Even as a worker in the industry with years of experience and having a radio I’ve been run off the rd. I know how it can feel. I’ve also had to investigate many incidents where logging trucks have had accidents or close calls with other vehicles sharing the rds. Some have been very serious but thankfully not too bad.

I run a 9 axle ore truck that weighs 160,000 pounds loaded. I run down the middle of these roads because they are crowned for water runoff and it keeps my pup from sliding into a ditch. These roads radio controlled and are signed complete with frequency posted. I have the right of way. There is a reason for this. I can't stop my truck on gravel in 2 truck lengths @105 ft long. What do you think is going to happen when you come around a corner and my unit is right there?

You get flattenend because I'm not going to go off the road and kill myself because you're an idiot.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Sorry Bud, If you as an experienced class 1 Driver don't slow down enough and cant stop your Rig no matter what size in a Blind Corner and Kill someone you probably will be facing serious Jail time.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Sorry Bud, If you as an experienced class 1 Driver don't slow down enough and cant stop your Rig no matter what size in a Blind Corner and Kill someone you probably will be facing serious Jail time.

Cheers
    He just told you that he can’t make it stop in 2 truck lengths x 105’. You obviously don’t know anything about these trucks. The extreme weight isn’t conducive to stopping on a dime no matter how many brakes they have. Highway trucks aren’t any different. Everyone should have to ride with a truck driver for a day just for the first hand experience before getting a license.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    He just told you that he can’t make it stop in 2 truck lengths x 105’. You obviously don’t know anything about these trucks. The extreme weight isn’t conducive to stopping on a dime no matter how many brakes they have. Highway trucks aren’t any different. Everyone should have to ride with a truck driver for a day just for the first hand experience before getting a license.
    this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

Myself, I've never seen a black owl.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach