Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Logging Trucks a public danger

Re: Logging Trucks a public danger

Quote Originally Posted by bearstump View Post
    i've never expected to have a right of way on an active fsr. If there's activity going on, i usually get the hell outta that area before i get smoked. And if i did get smoked, i would blame myself, not the loaded truck. I have had great experience's with crews over the years. One year it was hot as hell in september and came across a guy coming out in his excavator. We were stopped at a spot we were going to maybe set up at, but it wasn't ideal. I flagged him down and chatted for a few minutes about how much logging was going on further up etc.... He seemed like a nice guy, and he just wanted to get home. I offered him an ice cold beer and he lit up like a kid at christmas. I was blown away when he said "you gonna set up your trailer here?" "why dont you pull ahead a few feet and i'll level it out for you." we i'll be damned.......he leveled the spot for the trailer and then some in less than 5 minutes. Made a sweet camp spot for us.
    Moral of the story......dot be an asshole, it will come back to you.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Went straight to the end, no ones trying to kill anyone, get a radio, research, get correct rd channel, makes it a lot safer out there for everyone.

Can anyone recommend a radio?

Just about was run over by a speeding logging truck with my children recently. No active logging signs or anything. I’ve always had very good experiences with the logging trucks on the road, but this was pretty scary. Rather be prepared and if a radio can help then great.

I ordered a Baofeng UV-9R, I'll write a review after I get a few days of use.
    A bunch of friends have the older UV-5R, a <$30 option, its seems fine when we used it up logging roads.
    The best are obviously vehicle mounted ones but they are a bit pricier.

fud if the road looks pounded out it is get off off it as soon as possible...you are a guest on there active worksite honor the privledge or wreck it for the ones with a brain....
    Last edited by walks with deer; 09-10-2020 at 09:11 PM.

No, it's crown land, it belongs to the people of BC. FS roads are owned by the province of BC, we have paid for them. They are ours.

A lot of those truck drivers are one bad spell away from not being able to make their payments and losing their trucks, that's their job and living. These are young guys, with young families, at the bottom of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    No, it's crown land, it belongs to the people of BC. FS roads are owned by the province of BC, we have paid for them. They are ours.

A lot of those truck drivers are one bad spell away from not being able to make their payments and losing their trucks, that's their job and living. These are young guys, with young families, at the bottom of the list.
    All logging roads are supposed to be deactivated after. Harvest is complete . But they don't . Most of the time. Fsrs are paid for by the government those are ours . Logging roads aren't . The second they deactivated logging roads like they are supposed to people will whine and cry about that . Moral of the story is fsrs where created for loggin purposes only .and without that we wouldn't have the access we do .so give them a wide berth move over and enjoy your day out there . Simple respectgoes a long way
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

With all of those complaining about the poor skills of logging/lowbed/mine truck drivers out there it is amazing that they get through the workday alive. I wonder how they can possibly survive meeting another full sized truck on the road when it seems that they can hardly get around an F-150? I would say that most drivers are in the bush 200 days a year and must at least meet 15/20 other loaded pieces of equipment a day minimum, and that's pretty low if You get three trips in. So quick math says they sneak by minimum of 4000 other drivers a year, how is this possible? Maybe because You in your grocery getter aren't as swift and adept at the whole driving thing as You think?

Regarding BaoFung radios, they are inexpensive and you get what you pay for. If you use it twice a year when you go hunting it's probably good value although I've found they don't have the range. I like Motorola's for range and durability - but they are not cheap.

Regarding logging truck drivers...Just any other bunch; there are assholes in any group. My own experience has been if you try to work with them they are mostly pretty good. I have run into a couple of gems but maybe they were having a bad day.

I hunted grizzly for a number of years out past Mackenzie on the west side. There were mining and logging trucks using that road a lot. I did my part to stay out of there way and they they were all pretty good - heck after a few days they were telling where they saw critters.