Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Logging Trucks a public danger

Re: Logging Trucks a public danger

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    If anyone has trouble encountering a loaded logging truck, then they are going to be in real trouble when they come across a low bed with a Cat on board, the blade turns into a giant can opener, they don't/can't stop. They are twice as wide as a loaded logging truck if they are moving between sites on a resource road.
    Get a handheld radio for $250 and learn how to use it.
    I have a class 1 and used to run a crane company specializing in off pavement mountain transport. I’ve had two incidents in my time.

One was a pickup coming down around a blind corner that I had to cut to get my 80’ long load around. She had no radio, even though this was not on a public/resource road, but a private industry road where radios are 100% mandatory. She tried her best to get into reverse and out of the way, but the deck winches on my truck hooked the front fender of her truck and opened it up like a can opener along the drivers side. I couldn’t stop where it happened, so I kept driving. Other than a fender there was no damage and she waved for me to carry on. Her company base was right beside mine in the valley so we had a de-brief/beer/laugh about it later. If she had a radio , she would have known I was coming uphill as I had called out .5 km earlier.

The other one was a “me rolling my crane truck down the side of a mountain, or hoe operator’s truck getting a dent” type situation. He got a dent...

Radios work. Use one! Technically, you must be licensed to use vhf radios, and the user programable ones from Baofeng etc that lots of people on here have are illegal even with a license. If you take them in and get channels programmed, and the keypad locked, they are then legal.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

The operation I worked in to start my forestry career ran off highway trucks - Pacifics and Hayes, with 16 foot bunks. It was amazing what some drivers would pull near these things. I've seen them pull out to pass a loaded truck with an empty barreling at them. I can tell you two of those trucks don't leave a lot of room on a logging road. For a time we ran the Butler Brothers "roller skate" off highway truck which was a two bunk off highway ruck with a small cab sitting out over the front wheels (Google it for a laugh). I was following it one afternoon and a tourist from Germany was coming the other way. The driver freaked out just at the sight of the loaded monster and didn't attempt to drive by but drove straight into the weeds. It always amazes me that some drivers expect large rigs to be able to turn, stop and otherwise handle like a light truck or car.

Even smart people do stupid things....we were logging and the guy running the loader blew a hose so headed into town for parts, got about 5km from the site and ran into an empty logging truck, totaled the bosses brand new pickup.
    He ran into a hayes truck, so....no damage to it but abit of a scratch on the bumper, dude in the pickup should of had his radio on.

I've never had a problem with logging truck drivers in over 50 years, they have been both courteous and careful. I do know enough to get the H out of the way. Oil patch drivers on the other hand , and this is on a BC FSR, twice tried to run me off the road .No moving over even a little bit. After that I would certainly recommend a radio and have you passenger hang out the window with a rifle. Then we can all meet St.Peter at the same time.

The big trucks that bother me are on the pavement travelling well over the speed limit...

I was always very cautious of the logging trucks on the back roads... never had a problem... I would slow down and get over as far as I could and even stop... no sense to make them put a wheel close to the softer edge...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    I've never had a problem with logging truck drivers in over 50 years, they have been both courteous and careful. I do know enough to get the H out of the way. Oil patch drivers on the other hand , and this is on a BC FSR, twice tried to run me off the road .No moving over even a little bit. After that I would certainly recommend a radio and have you passenger hang out the window with a rifle. Then we can all meet St.Peter at the same time.
    The one thing with some of those patch tankers to remember, is that catching a soft edge and tipping over isn't quite the same as dumping the pup on a load of logs. With some of those tankers it won't matter if your passenger is out the window with a rifle or not, all 3 of you are gonna gasp your last right quickly if a tank full of nasty ruptures.

The main thing I have noticed between logs and patch is that a log truck driver is a lot more used to soft road edges and has a higher risk tolerance for getting close due to lower risk of having your meat eaten off your bones in the event of a slow tip over when meeting someone unexpectedly.

You are saying logging truck drivers are better drivers. Yeah, what you say does make sense, we were on gravel after all. There might have been corners, too. No tanks, a rig move, just A-holes.

Well, after a dozen years in oil country from what I see, the guys that drive log trucks do it because they can. The guys who are in the patch do that because they can't haul logs...

Patch roads are built to a way higher subgrade standard, more gravel, wider, usually hit with a compactor, etc. Logging roads have the stumps knocked out and maybe a skiff of material on top. Berms and shoulders are soft. Pretty common for a log truck to pull away from the loader and have the road edge slump under them and tip a trailer. On a lease site that just doesn't happen.

But don't get me wrong, I've had "chats" with truck loggers over the radio about not calling km's or bullshitting too much on road channels, and I've had "chats" over the radio with patch guys offering to discuss driving habits face to face while I pull their road use agreements so I can discuss that with their prime user.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 06-01-2020 at 08:44 PM.

I’ve been on logging roads my entire career. If I’m on the radio, I have had very few problems with logging and especially mining trucks. Wish I could say the same for moronic hunters driving blind with no idea if the are in or out, up or down, loaded (too often!) or empty. That’s if they even have a radio. I’ve had morons shoot down the dead end spur that my truck is parked on and scare the hell out of me and been scoped in cutblocks while wearing a red cruisers vest with hi vis. The logging truck drivers aren’t in the bush for a week or two, they are there 5 or more days a week, for as many months as there is work. Be respectful while you play - it’s their workplace
    Last edited by Treed; 06-01-2020 at 08:40 PM.

That road I was on was a BC FSR ! Near the Alberta border.

My dad grew up in the interior. I remember as kid, this was in '56 , going over the Monashee , from Lumby to Edgewood. It was a mostly single lane gravel highway .This was a provincial highway, no less. It went up and over instead of down the valley like the new highway does. When we came to a corner, there were lots, Dad would honk the horn to warn oncoming cars. Then one would have to back up to wide spot. There was a switch back so tight, dad had to stop edge back and work around it. The thing I remember most was looking at eye level at the tops of big trees. The car was a '55 Dodge