Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
If anyone has trouble encountering a loaded logging truck, then they are going to be in real trouble when they come across a low bed with a Cat on board, the blade turns into a giant can opener, they don't/can't stop. They are twice as wide as a loaded logging truck if they are moving between sites on a resource road.
Get a handheld radio for $250 and learn how to use it.
I have a class 1 and used to run a crane company specializing in off pavement mountain transport. I’ve had two incidents in my time.

One was a pickup coming down around a blind corner that I had to cut to get my 80’ long load around. She had no radio, even though this was not on a public/resource road, but a private industry road where radios are 100% mandatory. She tried her best to get into reverse and out of the way, but the deck winches on my truck hooked the front fender of her truck and opened it up like a can opener along the drivers side. I couldn’t stop where it happened, so I kept driving. Other than a fender there was no damage and she waved for me to carry on. Her company base was right beside mine in the valley so we had a de-brief/beer/laugh about it later. If she had a radio , she would have known I was coming uphill as I had called out .5 km earlier.

The other one was a “me rolling my crane truck down the side of a mountain, or hoe operator’s truck getting a dent” type situation. He got a dent...

Radios work. Use one! Technically, you must be licensed to use vhf radios, and the user programable ones from Baofeng etc that lots of people on here have are illegal even with a license. If you take them in and get channels programmed, and the keypad locked, they are then legal.