Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2020 Turkey Thread

Re: The Official 2020 Turkey Thread

Kind of surprised to see dozens and dozens of “NO HUNTING” signs in the area I went today. Stopped and spoke to a property owner and he gave me some advice that seemed dubious. Then right after he said there’s a grizz in the area and to watch my back.

8|

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    I was out with my son. He arrowed a big longbeard this morning. Just finished pinning the fan, now making a late lunch before we out for the evening.
    Congrats to your son Krico! You seem to be fairly successful annually with an early season turkey harvest. Hopefully you had a good evening hunt. Living through others vicariously

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Congrats to your son Krico! You seem to be fairly successful annually with an early season turkey harvest. Hopefully you had a good evening hunt. Living through others vicariously
    Me too so far. I'll be to roost some birds tomorrow night and hunting the next couple days.

Hope to see some successful hunts/stories start rolling in soon!
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Chased them all morning, couldn’t bring them in close enough. Had an afternoon nap and set up hoping to ambush them on way to roost. Finally at last light the big boy came strolling in and I arrowed him at about 30 yards.
    We are now eating pizza in the truck before we pluck and clean the bird.
    sleeping in tomorrow!
    Twist and pull.

Any advice on where to start? As in what type of call to buy? Are they tough to clean?

How does spring vs fall hunting for turkeys compare?

Been out twice with my daughter and haven't even heard a gobble yet!
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Been out twice with my daughter and haven't even heard a gobble yet!
    Go north a hour more they are fairly active.

Had a pretty active day out there today. We knocked a couple good toms down. Action was pretty consistent all day. Will upload some clips/pics when I’m home tomorrow night.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Had a pretty active day out there today. We knocked a couple good toms down. Action was pretty consistent all day. Will upload some clips/pics when I’m home tomorrow night.
    Good stuff, looking forward to it. Speaking of an active day... that was me today, busting my hump up and down mountains. Saw pretty much everything but a turkey (or a black bear, which of course I have a tag for): deer, elk, moose, dusky and ruffed grouse, coyote, lynx, even snowshoe hare on the drive out. Might have to change regions...

Anyone else been out?
    Here’s a simple foam Jake decoy we fixed up with an old fan from a Jake my son shot a few years ago, along with real wings. It even fooled me briefly when my son staked it out in between setups.
    Next time I’ll attach some fishing line to add movement when he’s positioned over my hen decoy.
    Twist and pull.