Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lillooet shut down this weekend

2. Site Sponsor

Re: lillooet shut down this weekend

This sort of stuff is going to implode when communities start trying to close access to crown land like this and people get frustrated. Going to result in violence I think.

It makes perfect sense for a community to want to keep potential germ spreaders away. GD

I think the message is "Stay at home." By issuing these press releases I think communities are trying to stop people before they start driving. Once they are in Lillooet, they will find somewhere to camp but if they can stop them in Coquitlam, that much better.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Yeah I saw some guy on a FB dual sport page crying cause he got turned away from a small community. Good on them, stay home for a few weeks and suck it up or go out and "flex your rights" "combat the super powers that wish to enslave us" lol, and have to stay home for months instead of weeks if this has really take off

Hopefully coming to a community near ME!

The point I was trying to make isn’t “stay the f*ck home”, or “its better for everyone if we all stay home” or anything like that.

The way I read that press release is that the community is blocking off roads and “identifying and engaging visitors” and telling them to return to their home communities.
    I have no issue with an informational sign saying “Please stay away”, but I have a big issue with being stopped, having my address checked by a member of a community and then denied access to somewhere. And it isn’t the denied access, its being stopped by someone who I don’t know, don’t know their travel history, don’t know their contact history, who has zero authority to check me out or detain me for any reason whatsoever.

I’m a very reasonable individual, but I’m not stopping for some infected as*hole to come up and cough into my window or touch my I.D. And if I personally feel this way, guaranteed there are people out there who will react far differently than I will.

I doubt there is anyone in the province who hasn’t heard the recommendation to stay home, or in their home community, and there will always be a segment of the population that won’t follow those recommendations. But that doesn’t give locals the right or authority to patrol their area and run people off. All that will do is create tension and conflict, and reports of locals fighting with non locals will ABSOLUTELY spur the federal government to implement the Emergency Act in the name of “public safety”.

The other aspect of this that does kind of surprise me is the mental hypocrisy exhibited even among ourselves here. I personally live more of a “I don’t agree with YYY, so I’m not going to do YYY” lifestyle. What I see on a lot of these threads though over the last couple of days is a “I don’t like that (or that scares me) so YOU shouldn’t be able to do that” mentality. See any parallels there?

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    It makes perfect sense for a community to want to keep potential germ spreaders away. GD

I think that people need to wrap their heads around the fact that it is already in their communities, they probably just don’t know it yet. Very few places will avoid having any cases.
    Even up here in Fort St John there was rumours on social media about there being only a handful of cases but it was being denied or not confirmed.

Last night it was finally confirmed that a worker in the old age home that is part of the hospital has tested positive, and a member of the one band that is only 20km as the crow flies from my house has tested positive. It finally came out that Northern Health has 22 confirmed cases in Fort St John and they weren’t discovered yesterday.....
    Health authorities aren’t making the number of cases or locations known to the public to “avoid panic” in the local communities, but I personally feel that all that is doing is lulling people into a sense of complacency because they think their home community is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    The other aspect of this that does kind of surprise me is the mental hypocrisy exhibited even among ourselves here. I personally live more of a “I don’t agree with YYY, so I’m not going to do YYY” lifestyle. What I see on a lot of these threads though over the last couple of days is a “I don’t like that (or that scares me) so YOU shouldn’t be able to do that” mentality. See any parallels there?
    I agree, 100%. I'm fine if some people want to stay home while I take a drive up into the woods by myself for a bear hunt. I'm comfortable that I am not increasing risk to myself or anyone else so I'm comfortable with my decision.

I don't have an answer for what to do with people that are comfortable making decisions to party or break social distancing rules. They should be forced to stay at home-- if you can't make good decisions we'll make decisions for you.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Lots of people believe the govt measures will save us all, but non compliance is death. Keep in mind truckers, flight crews, grocery stores, “essential” businesses are operating every day. Waiting until a somewhat effective vaccine is produced in 2021 is ok for pensioners, but eventually (doesn’t take too long) the govt checks will bounce and work will need to be done to keep living. Otherwise we will all be African street people. The armed citizens controlling access to their village to keep out a “zombie” hoard didn’t take long to get buy in, eh?