Thread: Bear hide

Bear hide

I just just pulled my first bear hide out of the freezer from the fall. Didn't have enough time due to work to get him done up before winter so he went in the freezer.

When I skinned the bear out I let the hide cool over night (almost froze that night), folded skin to skin early morning, rolled him up into a bundle with his head on top and put him in the freezer that morning.

Questions is, I've had him thawing for almost 24hrs on top a milk crate to circulate air all around. His chin is still frozen down to the hide. If I hang him up from the head to let him "unroll" as he thaws will that cause fur damage?. Im nervouse that he is so well insulated the fur in the center will take to long to thaw if I leave him bundled up on the milk crate.

Any tips on how you've thawed a frozen rolled up bear hide?.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear hide

Are you planning on tanning it yourself or bringing it to a taxidermist? If you're bringing it in just leave it frozen, they probably won't start working on it right away anyway. If you're thawing it to skin out the face and paws just thaw it in a cool place, it won't start developing bacteria right away...I doubt hanging it and letting it thaw would have any negative effects, I'm no expert but I definitely didn't baby my first bear hide and got it rugged up with no issues.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    Are you planning on tanning it yourself or bringing it to a taxidermist? If you're bringing it in just leave it frozen, they probably won't start working on it right away anyway. If you're thawing it to skin out the face and paws just thaw it in a cool place, it won't start developing bacteria right away...I doubt hanging it and letting it thaw would have any negative effects, I'm no expert but I definitely didn't baby my first bear hide and got it rugged up with no issues.
    I plan on tanning it myself, going to skin out paws and face for taxidermy. I was taught by a trapper so I've handled a little bit of fur, never a bear though. I don't expect it to be perfect, just try and do my best. I already know what I can do better on the next one.

Always learning.

Thanks

good on you for rolling it up with the head to the outside
    hanging won't hurt the hair at all, it is not brittle. There may be folds in the hair, not a problem
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    hanging won't hurt the hair at all, it is not brittle. There may be folds in the hair, not a problem
    Thanks, after this cup of coffee in going to the shed and taking a look. Probly end up hanging it for the afternoon .. supposed to warm up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by exv View Post
    I plan on tanning it myself, going to skin out paws and face for taxidermy. I was taught by a trapper so I've handled a little bit of fur, never a bear though. I don't expect it to be perfect, just try and do my best. I already know what I can do better on the next one.

Always learning.

Thanks
    Best of luck, let us know how it goes!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

If it is still a bit frozen, don't be afraid to tug on it. Just be careful not to pull out the hair. Once you get it started, just keep working it open so it will thaw faster. I was thinking about pulling some of the kids bears out from last season. got to make room for this spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    If it is still a bit frozen, don't be afraid to tug on it. Just be careful not to pull out the hair. Once you get it started, just keep working it open so it will thaw faster. I was thinking about pulling some of the kids bears out from last season. got to make room for this spring!
    Yes this is exactly what I did. I hung him up and between working the hide by hand and gravity doing it's job he was rolled out in a couple hours without pulling hair. Worked well, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    nice advice