Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Super Pigs - Feral Hogs Invading Canada

Re: Super Pigs - Feral Hogs Invading Canada

Its ok , it would be another reason for us to go out in winter and smoke some wolves or pigs

Maybe this is Nature's way of combating the wolf population. Introduce the Super Pig that can take down wolves.

I think this might be more of a propaganda push to elevate the sales of magnum calibre rifles again. The makers of the magnums are doing this to gain traction back from the loss of sales due to this mindwashing 6.5 Creedmoor craze - one which, I will admit, has eaten the lettuce out of my wallet on four occasions so far.

I say we need to develop a plan to keep these pigs from crossing the Rockies and the only logical solution that I can come up with in to perch Nog up above the pig's travel corridor. Keep Nog with a good supply of food, drink and precious toilet paper and keep feeding his .270 with a steady supply of ammo.

There will be bacon for all.

In all seriousness, these pigs can not get into BC. Not cool that Saskatchewan didn't put together an extermination plan and now Alberta is going to suffer the consequences. Alberta is literally getting the tar beaten out of them and now a plague of pigs is about to wreck havoc on their farmland. We can't let the pigs get to BC, they'll like it here and we'll never get rid of them.

‘We’ll never get rid of them’...there was a few Russian boars in the Frazer valley about 20 years ago we were warned about, But they never gained a foothold

Arrow Re: Super Pigs - Feral Hogs Invading Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    ... I say we need to develop a plan to keep these pigs from crossing the Rockies and the only logical solution that I can come up with in to perch Nog up above the pig's travel corridor. Keep Nog with a good supply of food, drink and precious toilet paper and keep feeding his .270 with a steady supply of ammo.
    Count me in, but....

In all seriousness, these pigs can not get into BC. Not cool that Saskatchewan didn't put together an extermination plan and now Alberta is going to suffer the consequences. Alberta is literally getting the tar beaten out of them and now a plague of pigs is about to wreck havoc on their farmland.
    Again, this has been blown WAAAAY out of proportion by University Researchers justifying and demanding more research dollars.

In addition to friends and family living in the supposed high density areas in Sask, I have many of the same (including several professional outfitters) in supposedly "effected" areas in Alberta. NONE of these people buy into the sensationalized reports whatsoever. Most have never seen any sign, let alone an actual offender.

IMO there are some, but they are few. It is an incredible leap to believe they will soon be "wrecking havoc" on Alberta farmlands, and even more-so to think they are going to infiltrate in any real numbers into BC.

So, I'll take the high perch job with the 270 Weatherby. Just don't be expecting too much in the way of bacon...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Keep Nog with a good supply of food, drink and precious toilet paper....
    Never met the man, but... judging from his posts and apparent "street cred" here, I would say:

"Nog doesn't use toilet paper - Nog wipes his posterior region with the hide and intestines of his fallen prey"

God, how long have I been waiting for the opportunity to make my own "Chuck Norris Facts"

In all seriousness, these pigs can not get into BC. Not cool that Saskatchewan didn't put together an extermination plan and now Alberta is going to suffer the consequences. Alberta is literally getting the tar beaten out of them and now a plague of pigs is about to wreck havoc on their farmland. We can't let the pigs get to BC, they'll like it here and we'll never get rid of them.
    Too late, they’re here in BC and have been for awhile. Here a link to a more detailed report though the mapping is vague. I’m going to try and get detailed maps from the author of the report.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...-north-canada/
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

I'll shoot one if I see one.

I'm in my mid 50's and have been going into the bush all my life - I have yet to see a feral hog in BC. With my luck they'll show up after I eventually quit hunting again.

I'm sure those hungry Alberta boys are going to put a serious hurt on these pigs once the pig population gets to be a problem.

I don't think these pigs will get far on Native land either - and that's a good thing.

I used to crop-dust in West-Central Sask and there are a few kicking around. we would see them at dawn or dusk out in the lentils and peas. Sask requires you to be a resident to hunt them, so don't get any idea.

The comments about landowners opening up access to get rid of the pest is total BS. In the southern states it just lead to extreme trespass fees. Sadly, 99% of hunters leave a mess, put holes in cattle and equipment, and generally ruin it for the rest of us. Landowners aren't stupid, they see the hype hog hunting has and know you'll pay to play.

I've seen a few flying around south of Whitecourt in 'Berta, and know a few guys that have taken them by chance while hunting other species.

We hunted them in Texas, it was a blast. A pair of us went into the dry creekbeds and head height grass and took down nine the first evening with buckshot at kicking distances. another big boar fell that night to a knife over dogs.

They aren't stupid, and have, like their american counterparts, gone almost completely nocturnal in Canada. Until we're allowed to use NVG we'll never be rid of them. Like Nog says though, they are a VERY SMALL population and threat in Canada. Our winters, large predators, and lack of food sources keep their numbers down. They've been in Canada for decades and have yet to become a problem. Every couple years the media hypes them up, and the yokles on forums like this one go full on Bubba and get Texan fantasies. Sigh....
    Last edited by Amphibious; 04-05-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    We hunted them in Texas, it was a blast. A pair of us went into the dry creekbeds and head height grass and took down nine the first evening with buckshot at kicking distances. another big boar fell that night to a knife over dogs.

Every couple years the media hypes them up, and the yokles on forums like this one go full on Bubba and get Texan fantasies. Sigh....
    So your one of those yokels?
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

I went where the hogs ARE. I didn't go "chicken little" and rave about the comming Canadian Hogpocalypse. There is a big difference.

I went to Texas, I killed Hogs. Far from a fantasy.