Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Closes spring bear season, how long do we have?

Re: Alaska Closes spring bear season, how long do we have?

I can easily see them closing seasons and limiting travel within BC. I am all for going out fishing and going out hunting becuase it is great social distancing and it is important for my mental health. How it is done depends on where you are tho, for me, I rarely see anyone and I am doing everything I normally do, if you live in a high rise in Van you have to modify your behaviour significantly. Hunting locally wont cause too many issues with spreading a virus if you do it alone close to home, but groups of people and travelling across the province during bear season could cause some serious issues. Yes businesses in highway towns are gunna take a hit, businesses are shut down province wide, I took a huge hit closing and many of my friends did too. If we want a fall hunting season and the freedom to travel back we need to take the hit now and get it over with. If we wait and everyone thinks of their own interests it will take a lot longer.

Make no mistake about it the anti's are going to latch onto this and play it for all it's worth. Every absurd argument they can think of to use this covid-19 crisis to justify banning hunting. People are already talking about the influx of Albertan's coming to Prince Rupert to go fishing in recent days and how those people are traveling between provinces and coming into contact with people they shop and buy supplies from. 'cause, you know, nobody is allowed to go shopping anymore

Lack of all Tourism in general is a far greater problem then hunters not traveling when talking about support business along travel routes

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    I can easily see them closing seasons and limiting travel within BC. I am all for going out fishing and going out hunting becuase it is great social distancing and it is important for my mental health. How it is done depends on where you are tho, for me, I rarely see anyone and I am doing everything I normally do, if you live in a high rise in Van you have to modify your behaviour significantly. Hunting locally wont cause too many issues with spreading a virus if you do it alone close to home, but groups of people and travelling across the province during bear season could cause some serious issues. Yes businesses in highway towns are gunna take a hit, businesses are shut down province wide, I took a huge hit closing and many of my friends did too. If we want a fall hunting season and the freedom to travel back we need to take the hit now and get it over with. If we wait and everyone thinks of their own interests it will take a lot longer.
    Sorry have to disagree, if the close it, kiss the whole season good by, if you haven't noticed once you lose something in hunting and fishing you're dreaming if you think you will get it back. Hows the gbear hunting going for you, how about the experimental halibut slot size for 1 year going for you, you see a bit of a pattern here??

Sadly I can see that and I agree with the donald. I hope it remains open for our sake. There won’t be a problem if we follow common sense with this virus.

I understand that the worry is for small communities with limited hospital facilities, do not want or need outsiders entering their domain. Even though you are going to be alone in the bush you are probably going to buy gas and supplies from local stores, thus the possibility of spreading the corvid19.
    I wouldn't want someone from the larger cities (more likely to have contact) coming into my small community spreading the crap in my area.

What if they said hunters could only hunt in their home MU this spring season?
    That would be better than a full closure.

on a side note: I think that this c-19/ Social distance way of life we’re now in will cause more people to abandon the city life, work remotely and move to small towns.
    I’d rather social isolate in a big shop on a piece of land than in 600 sq/ft condo in Vancouver

For the most part , hunting is a social event. We all like to gather around a campfire at the end of the day to discuss our adventure. So who do you take with you? Most of us are self isolating at the moment, so in theory, I can call a buddy who for the last 14 days has done the same thing. Off we go, to our out of the way location and for the most part should be just fine, assuming we only bought some gas along the way and brought everything else from home. 4 or 5 days in camp is really "isolating". Now we need supplies. Are we close enough to home?? Do we risk a trip into a local town? Let's call another buddy. But wait. Where has he been? Do we risk another person in camp?
    This virus is the most devastating killer the world has ever known!! Thank goodness , British Columbia starting reacting ahead of the curve. I truly believe we will be in a better position in 30 days than anyone else in Canada. At least for those who do not live in a big city. But, I am the true optimist. I say, let's go hunting, let's play a little golf, practice social distancing and hopefully with better weather here now we can enjoy more outdoor activities. My wife has just informed me , I, we , are not going anywhere for the next three weeks. Damn, and I just filled the truck up with cheaper gas than we have had in months. Hang in there folks, we will beat this thing and be better for it.

Alaska has clarified, it's only non residents that are closed down. It would be neat if they did that here too.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.