Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roberts Bank expansion environmental assessment

Roberts Bank expansion environmental assessment

I encourage everyone to read this report as it contains some findings that will affect Roberts Bank.
    https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/document...54/134506E.pdf

I've only skimmed it in about an hour but found there was very little representation of the affect of the bank on waterfowl and that it seems the mitigation proposed by the developers seems to be that because birds can fly elsewhere, any effect on species there would be negligible. Of course, since many of us hunt Brunswick, that is no comfort to us.

There were representations from the first nations in the area that seem to be the only real representations of waterfowlers to the panel but it seems these factors were minimized.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Roberts Bank expansion environmental assessment

Thanks for posting this, Silvergent. I will read with interest as this is an issue I am very concerned about.

It is notable that Roberts Banks was not included in the Ramsar designation for the area back in 2012, paving the way for this potential atrocity. https://www.straight.com/news/anne-m...ter-late-never

I don't know who is behind this site but it is the only one I have found that addresses the issue
    https://www.againstportexpansion.org/home

Deltaport expansion has been in the works since 2003.That was the original set of plans we witnessed which called for a much broader scope of landfill than the current one. The extent of negative impact on the duck and goose populations is a matter for debate by far more qualified people than I however I have a few observations as a lower mainland resident hunter for more than 45 years.First there was NO resident goose population here until the CWS decided that it would be a good idea back in the early 70's to release young geese voila we have Vancouver Canadas.Second my recollections of Brant is they would never fly over land if they could avoid it yet last couple years they routinely fly over the ferry causeway and the Deltaport/Westshore causeway ,adaptation? The impact of business and household expansion in Richmond has had little or no impact on snow goose population except maybe to spread them around into huntable areas.I am not for or against the expansion of Deltaport but with the size increase in containerships I know the port of Vancouver will soon play a much smaller part in containerized cargo,(as one who moves them in and out).With less public areas available for hunting you should voice you're opinion but I still am amazed how waterfowl adapt to their environment.

Since the inception of Roberts Bank I’ve witnessed the slow destruction of eel grass beds through that whole area! You’re hard pressed to find any amount between the two causeways, I believe that’s why Brant are congregating more on the south side of the ferry causeway the last few years. K

Interesting since we limited twice off deltaport #3 (6 birds) and there was no eelgrass prior to the 2 causeways being built ...but times are changing..
    Last edited by Dutch; 04-04-2020 at 11:48 AM.

The fact they would consider undertaking this expansion across the mouth of one of the the world's most prolific salmon rivers amazes me. I have also read other studies/comments that suggest the Prince Rupert route to Asia is closer and more economical both in terms of distances to places like China but also in terms of rail connections towards North America more generally.

The adaptability of Canada geese is one of those urban marvels and the reason they are now considered pests in many jurisdictions. I don't know enough about brant to comment but think the decline of eel grass you describe makes sense. We may be seeing adaptive behaviour in geese and ducks, but I wonder where the tipping point is? There are also significant raptor and song bird populations in the area, some of them seasonal. How will they respond? Then there are the whales, the crabs etc etc.

The transition of the Brunswick to urban industrial park means it is only a matter of time before shooting is closed there. Population growth, too many poodles and dudes with $10k camera lenses who deplore hunting. It will become more like Richmond and win awards for being an example of industry and nature co-exisitng side-by-side, never mind that hunters have been part of the fabric of the place for more than 100 years.

Haven't read the report yet so will wait and see what it says...

I believe Prince Rupert is 3 days closer to some Asian markets, if I remember the pamphlet correctly. However with LNG expansion and limited population supply those might be contributing factors in choosing possible locations.

Prince Rupert is primarily an import market with the majority of goods shipped directly to the US and Canadian Midwest via an underutilized rail corridor. It is in the process of being expanded again but will not accommodate the amount of goods that the southern rail corridor will.There will be an expansion at Deltaport but the present group is in favour of another berth along the same face thus increasing it to 4.My personal view get rid of the coal port and make it all containers ,shipping 35 million tons of coal a year to be burned is a much larger carbon footprint than anything we could do in this country and half of it is from our friends across the border .

Not all coal is used for power. Probably less then half actually. Much is used for steel production and manufacturing.

Perhaps ports could be better utilized to be more strategic for containers and open bulkers for grains and coal. Might ease rail lines and hwy routes. Just a thought

https://www.delta-optimist.com/local...ontent=rundown

Delta port operator, VFPA continue war of words after ruling

Delta Council this year reiterated the city’s position that a decision on T2 should be postponed until a comparative analysis with the DP4 project has been undertaken, or, failing that, be denied based on the ‘expected adverse environmental and community impacts.’ VFPA imageDespite the noise from its Deltaport container terminal operator, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority (VFPA) remains confident the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 (T2) project is the right project at the right time for Canada.
    That is what port authority president and CEO Robin Silvester had to say last week, responding to a Federal Court ruling dismissing Global Container Terminal’s (GCT) allegations of bias against the port. The court issued its ruling July 26.
    Having put forward a competing proposal to add a fourth berth at the existing container terminal in Delta, GCT in 2019, filed an application for a judicial review, challenging the port authority's decision-making in relation to its long-term planning for delivering container capacity.
    Still in the application phase and waiting for a decision by the federal government, the VFPA is proposing to build a three-berth terminal on a new man-made island adjacent to the existing facility, having also turned down GCT’s proposal.

The port authority’s T2 project would provide an additional 2.4 million twenty-foot equivalent units of container capacity per year at Roberts Bank. GCT would not be the operator of the new facility.
    In a news release, Silvester said globally-based supply chain problems that Canadians are experiencing now are a preview of coming made-in-Canada supply chain problems if urgently needed capacity is not forthcoming.
    “That’s why the port authority is leading the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 Project under our public interest mandate, leveraging more than a decade of experience delivering high quality, sustainable infrastructure projects for Canada and local communities. Despite the noise from GCT, we are confident the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 Project is the right project, at the right time, for Canada and Canadians.”
    Judy Rogers, chair of the port’s board of directors, agreed, saying the ruling made by the Federal Court of Canada conclusively rejects GCT’s case and is a major victory for port authorities across the country. 
    “Given their federal mandate to enable Canada’s trade through ports across the country, it is essential that Canada Port Authorities are empowered to make complex and difficult decisions focused on the best interest of Canada’s trading needs and not corporate shareholders,” said Rogers.
    Noting it is reviewing the ruling, GCT said in a statement it believes that the court ought to have taken the further step of ordering the remedies sought by GCT once it found that VFPA failed to treat GCT’s project enquiry fairly, or in a manner consistent with the type of conduct expected of regulators who have been granted the sort of statutory authority that VFPA received from the Government of Canada.
    “The GCT Deltaport Expansion - Berth Four (DP4) project continues to advance and reach important environmental assessment milestones. Recently, the BC Environmental Assessment Agency (BCEAO) issued the Process Order, and the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada (IAAC) issued the final Joint Guidelines and Notice of Commencement, moving the project forward to the Impact Statement Development Phase,” GCT noted.
    “The GCT DP4 expansion project incrementally expands our existing container terminal, adding up to 2 million TEUs of capacity and is fully funded by private investment. The Port of Vancouver’s Roberts Bank Terminal 2 (RBT2) project builds a new publicly-funded $3.5 billion artificial island in the Salish Sea with environmental impacts have been described as ‘permanent, irreversible, and, continuous.’ DP4 will bring capacity to market in a similar timeframe to the RBT2 project.”