Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting Jackets - Bulky vs Tight and wool vs synthetic

Re: Hunting Jackets - Bulky vs Tight and wool vs synthetic

Synthetic base layer, synthetic mid layer, puffy jacket and rain shell.
    System starts out tight fighting base layer, casual fitting hoodie and puffy and rain gear is on the loose side to layer over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I used to hunt in all wool but now I’m head to toe under armour well built and durable keeps me warm in minus 20 no problem. It’s expensive but worth it
    I've never experienced well made or durable under armour gear. Just cheap chinese fall apart gear.

I do use a synthetic UA tshirt that I use as a base layer sometimes on sunny days. Typically though I use first lite merino as a base, then whatever is weather appropriate as far as a grey stanfield, or greenish polar fleece. I do have a big heavy walmart camo coat. It soaks up water really well, but its warm if it is nice amd dry out.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

November when it's cold out I prefer a wind/water proof one piece set of coveralls, if it gets colder yet, add some down filled or wool long johns underneath it.

Thanks Everyone,

Great responses here. I'm seeing a fair amount people suggesting puffy jackets. While I can see the merit in using them, I find when the gun goes to the shoulder, bulky or puffy feels unnatural. That's why I was considering more form fitting. Queue the tight jeans hipster jokes . For me, when I'm hiking/walking my body does a pretty good job of regulating heat but sometimes when I sit, i can get cold. Maybe throwing another layer in the pack for sitting is in order. Side bar, have you ever sat on a spot and felt relatively warm, then stand up and immediately get the shakes? Weirdest thing

A good puffy jacket or vest is super light weight and packs down to almost nothing so when i shoulder my rifle it squishes it down with no resistance so its no different than shooting with a light sweater. Its also something you dont usually hike in wearing. Once your in and set up put it on.

Edit even though there called a "puffy" there not bulky
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................