Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Jackets - Bulky vs Tight and wool vs synthetic

Hunting Jackets - Bulky vs Tight and wool vs synthetic

Hey Everyone,

It's been awhile since on here. I hope everyone is enjoying the isolation. I know I'm getting a little squirrely.

Anyway, I'm looking for you thoughts/recommendations in regards to jackets. This is for November boots on the ground hunting. So walking/hiking most of the day.

I currently have the traditional bulky camo jacket. It's ok but I'm thinking of moving to a tighter wool jacket (no camo).

What are thoughts on bulkier jackets vs tighter jacket? Pro and cons.

Also, wool vs synthetic materials.

Brands?

Any comments are welcome

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Jackets - Bulky vs Tight and wool vs synthetic

Think layers as that will give you options to shed/add layers depending what what you’re doing.
    Heavier warm jacket will get you sweating during a hike and cold when you stop. Others will chime in but maybe a wool base may be the ticket. My memories of wool is HEAVY when it gets wet.
    I use a wind resistant fleece and depending on weather I will use heavier base layers.

If you want wool, without the oldschool weight, have a look at First Lite stuff. They make fantastic stuff and also have non camo colors in pretty much everything they make. Black, brown, green and gray are the plain fabric colors, with the brown and green being very “hunt appropriate” shades. The gray is too I guess if you are in the rocks a lot.

https://www.firstlite.com/
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

First lite has quality stuff. I picked up a kiln not too long ago when it was on sale. Unfortunately I’m thinking of not supporting them anymore because of the cost of their items and where it’s made. The kiln is made in China.

To put it in perspective, I could buy 5 kiln shirts made in China, or a brand new Exo K3 pack made in the USA. I own several of their jackets and have had a couple pairs of their pants. Some is made in Vietnam, some in China etc. Like I said the quality is there, but for the cost it should be made in a better place.

Merino wool all the way though.

I'm a wool guy, I wear wool for everything from my socks to my vest, but I wear a wind and waterproof jacket on top. I take my jacket off when walking and put it back on when I sit and while riding my atv. It's important to stay dry.

If you want wool try
    https://www.gostwear.com big Bill clothing made in Canada THEY ARE AVAILABLE IN A COUPLE OF Different weights .

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    Think layers as that will give you options to shed/add layers depending what what you’re doing.
    Heavier warm jacket will get you sweating during a hike and cold when you stop. Others will chime in but maybe a wool base may be the ticket. My memories of wool is HEAVY when it gets wet.
    I use a wind resistant fleece and depending on weather I will use heavier base layers.
    ^^^^^. Used wool for many years a long time ago, but the modern version is night and day difference. I’m a huge fleece fan and merino wool as it’s light, moisture wicking and easily layered without being bulky. Nothing like being able to shed/add a layer as the elements change around you. I’ve been on high ridges where I was practically in nothing, then the cloud rolled in and had to bundle up cause of freezing rain.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Big fan of wool, not for an insulation layer though at least personally. Wool is always next to skin in my layering system, weight will be dependent on temperatures...I've tried lots of different brands and so far first lite stands head and shoulders above the rest, as mentioned it's pretty spendy but either wait for sales or buy it lightly used and the price is very similar to cheaper brands and the quality is a night and day difference. For example I paid $75 for a lightweight merino shirt from Mark's work warehouse (also made in Asia) that was full of holes within a few months of light use, also paid $90 for a midweight merino from first lite that has so far been significantly more durable, comfortable and functional...minor price difference for significant quality difference in my opinion. I would personally go with a grid fleece mid layer and fast drying, lightweight and breathable synthetic jacket on top of that if necessary instead of a wool jacket, I'm certainly not an expert but I've spent enough uncomfortable days/nights on the mountain to start looking at what I'm doing wrong in my layering system and address it.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

What the hell is wrong with stanfields comes with handy back door and made in Canada! All we get from China is viruses!

Im not a big fan of heavy bulky jackets. And it really depends on the conditions. My jacket needs to keep the elements out and block wind. It can be insulated if Im not getting rained on (hunting in cold snowy conditions) but if Im hunting in wet conditions, I dont want a heavy insulated jacket as my outer layer.

Everyone has their own preferences on clothing and layering. You need to determine for yourself what works for you and your budget. Your buddy might run hot and you might freeze with the same clothing and layering choices.

My preferences, depends on type of year and hunt. I like now use wool for next to skin. My mid layers are synthetic sweater or my old stansfield with a light puffy (Rab Generator) over that. My outer layer is either a rain shell or heavier puffy (Kuhl Projekt) if in cold/snow. No, this stuff isn't sitka, first lite or kuiu, but aside from the stansfield, all quality backpacking gear.

I've used this combination on several backpack goat hunts and it works for me. I like the puffy coats for a couple reasons. Super warm, extremely light and packable and make for great pillows on a backpack hunt.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-01-2020 at 10:02 AM.