Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold vx-5hd CDS

Re: Leupold vx-5hd CDS

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    They are nice scopes for sure but my money would go to a Zeiss v4 in 4-16. Much better glass and more robust internals.
    I REALLY like my V4 4-16 - Its GREAT ! RJ

300rum700 - you've had the erector system on the vx-5hd crap out on you?

I have one and like it, but a guy I know in the states who does TONS of shooting (insane amount), runs gear through the wringer, told me that the turret systems have a 100% failure rate in the leupolds, over time. He recommends the SWFA SS 3-9x42. I went with the leupold against my gut feeling, so hopefully I don't run into problems. But buddy told me to basically test the shit out of the scope frequently because it WILL eventually fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post

todbartell - I have a number of vortex viper hd scopes which I like, and which have been bashed around hard in the bush and held zero (albeit on a mild recoiling 270 rifle) but the reticle options on that new Razor model seem to be pretty weird to me. Any personal experience with one?
    No I haven't used one. Was planning on getting one, but shooting isn't as important lately to me
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Why would you need to dial from below 400 yards especially 300? Don't get me wrong I think the CDS system is cool as with other external turret options but is necessary for your application? Can you not zero for 200/250 yards and be in the boiler room from 100-350 yards? Again I am not familiar with your ballistics and maybe you just want that extra confidence of a dial package. I get it just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    No I haven't used one. Was planning on getting one, " But shooting isn't as Important lately to me "
    What you mean TB ? Whats going on ? RJ

I have to vx5hd. One 3-15x44 firedot and the other two 2-10x42 duplex.

Love them one of my favourite scope

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Why would you need to dial from below 400 yards especially 300? Don't get me wrong I think the CDS system is cool as with other external turret options but is necessary for your application? Can you not zero for 200/250 yards and be in the boiler room from 100-350 yards? Again I am not familiar with your ballistics and maybe you just want that extra confidence of a dial package. I get it just curious.
    Correct - I really don't to dial inside of 300 at all (200 yard zero), but once past 350 I'd feel a heck of a lot more confident with a precise dialed shot then some sort of attempted "put it 6 inches over his back" (which I have done successfully but it is hardly confidence inspiring) etc. especially on a mule deer sized target vs an elk or moose.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    What you mean TB ? Whats going on ? RJ

Coronavirus dude
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Coronavirus dude
    Shit ! I've being sick for over 2 Weeks - Just getting better Now ! Not sure what it was ? Flu then Cold RJ

Oh and By the Way get Better Soon !
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 04-01-2020 at 04:42 PM.