Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold vx-5hd CDS

Leupold vx-5hd CDS

At some point on the horizon, I'm thinking of picking up a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15 with the CDS.

Anyone have experience with these and care to comment? Positive and negative feedback welcome as they are a significant cost and I want to go in eyes open.

In particular, how reliable is the CDS (assuming you give them correct information)?

I would plan on this going on a Browning x-bolt 300 wsm to be an open ground Elk/Moose/large Mule Deer setup. I am interested in the CDS for shots out to ranges of 400(ish) yards, although I would much rather keep shots to 300 yards or less. Outside of the necessary practicing, I am not planning on competition shooting (i.e. tons of dialing) or tackling the crazy long range stuff that seems to be so popular in the western USA (500+ yard shots on animals) so I am not going to be going crazy with the amount of "dialing" I am doing.

If not the above-noted scope, any other suggestions for a similar scope?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Leupold vx-5hd CDS

Get the lit reticle model they are awesome scope.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Gonna be the scope on my 300 win mag build!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I have owned mine for two years put it on two rifles. Sako Kodiak 338 win mag and now on my Sako Carbonlight 260 Remington. Getting a new dial from Leupold only took about 2 weeks. I have shot out to 600 yards with very repeatable accuracy. My son just bought one and installed on his 45/70 marlin Guide gun. He wont give up that gun. My experience they are worth the money.

I just picked up the same scope for my mountain rifle. I haven’t got to shoot it yet, but at first glances, it’s a pretty sweet scope. It’s replacing a Swarovski z3 3-9x36. I know the two scopes aren’t comparable, but the vx5 is easily the brighter/clearer scope.

I have owned 3 of them, great scope for most hunting/shooting needs

Another option will be the new Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

They are nice scopes for sure but my money would go to a Zeiss v4 in 4-16. Much better glass and more robust internals.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I always take google reviews with a huge grain of salt but some folks have raised issues about the internal erectors falling apart in these things with lots of dialing related to the CDS system - although do I wonder how much of that is military/competition style ultra frequent use.

I also like a lot of the specs about that Zeiss scope but hate the idea of an exposed elevation turret without a locking feature. I just know that would bite me in the ass at some point.

300rum700 do you have one of those Zeiss scopes, if so, any problems with the turret spinning on you?

todbartell - I have a number of vortex viper hd scopes which I like, and which have been bashed around hard in the bush and held zero (albeit on a mild recoiling 270 rifle) but the reticle options on that new Razor model seem to be pretty weird to me. Any personal experience with one?

The Zeiss has a very positive click adjustment and a zero stop so not much worry with the exposed turret. I've owned a a few of the v4 and v6 and prefer them to the Leupolds. Fairly heavily documented that the erector system will fail over time and my experience with them has been the same.

I haven't settled on a load yet so I haven't used the CDS feature but it is fantastic glass. Very bright and clear.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?