Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leupold vx-5hd CDS

Re: Leupold vx-5hd CDS

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    Correct - I really don't to dial inside of 300 at all (200 yard zero), but once past 350 I'd feel a heck of a lot more confident with a precise dialed shot then some sort of attempted "put it 6 inches over his back" (which I have done successfully but it is hardly confidence inspiring) etc. especially on a mule deer sized target vs an elk or moose.
    Makes complete sense to me. I appreciate your concern with making an ethical shot.

Now thinking of throwing the Huskemaw blue diamond 4-16 x 42 mm into this mix as well.

Does anyone have any direct experience comparing that to the Leupold?

I've used Huskemaw in 4-16x and 5-20x, I would take the Leupold every time. The Leupold has a locking two rotation turret with free custom dial, the Huskemaw is under a threaded cap, and no free dial. Leupold has larger magification range, and is lighter weight. Click value is also finer, being 1/4moa per click instead of 1/3moa for the H

I do not doubt the Leupold warranty would be better than Huskemaw, and it's dealt with in Alberta instead of USA
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Took out the VX-5HD last weekend... dialed to 400 (plugged info in ballistics app) and the bullet went right where it was supposed to. Wouldn't mind trying 500 and 600 next time. Pretty awesome! I just am worried about the failure rate of the turret systems, but hopefully that doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    At some point on the horizon, I'm thinking of picking up a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15 with the CDS.

Anyone have experience with these and care to comment? Positive and negative feedback welcome as they are a significant cost and I want to go in eyes open.

In particular, how reliable is the CDS (assuming you give them correct information)?

I would plan on this going on a Browning x-bolt 300 wsm to be an open ground Elk/Moose/large Mule Deer setup. I am interested in the CDS for shots out to ranges of 400(ish) yards, although I would much rather keep shots to 300 yards or less. Outside of the necessary practicing, I am not planning on competition shooting (i.e. tons of dialing) or tackling the crazy long range stuff that seems to be so popular in the western USA (500+ yard shots on animals) so I am not going to be going crazy with the amount of "dialing" I am doing.

If not the above-noted scope, any other suggestions for a similar scope?

Thanks!
    I dont have a HD5 yet,,but I do have 2 VX3 - CDS scopes,,one is on my 375 which I shoot frequently,,,and those dials are amazing,,,I always send the info to Korth about 50-100 ft per second slower than my chrony says it is to allow for lot variations...I can consistantly hit the one gallon milk jugs at 750 yards with a 300 grain bullet,,the HD5 has a turret with 2 rotations of the dial,,therefore you can dial it out a lot farther than the VX3 scopes

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Took out the VX-5HD last weekend... dialed to 400 (plugged info in ballistics app) and the bullet went right where it was supposed to. Wouldn't mind trying 500 and 600 next time. Pretty awesome! I just am worried about the failure rate of the turret systems, but hopefully that doesn't happen.
    The turrets on my 2 scopes have been great, and Ive banged them up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    They are nice scopes for sure but my money would go to a Zeiss v4 in 4-16. Much better glass and more robust internals.
    I would think your confusing opinion with knowledge. The Zeiss is not comparable to the Leupold for my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by lowball View Post
    I would think your confusing opinion with knowledge. The Zeiss is not comparable to the Leupold for my eyes.
    IMO. Your eyes are fooling you.

I have had a leupold scope with the cds for around 7 years and it has yet to fail on me and whats the worst case you get them ti replace it under there warranty

Quote Originally Posted by mulieaddiction View Post
    I have had a leupold scope with the cds for around 7 years and it has yet to fail on me and whats the worst case you get them ti replace it under there warranty
    That is very encouraging to hear.

Thanks everyone for all the input to date!