Thread: Sweet & sour bear

Sweet & sour bear

Conducted an experiment on the weekend and the results were favorable enough to share with you guys...turned out delicious actually.

Ingredients:

1x bear round roast, could substitute almost any cut of whole muscle meat, tenderloin would be amazing.

1/2 white onion

1/2 red bell pepper

1/2 green bell pepper

4x cloves garlic

2 tbsp himalayan pink salt

2 tbsp black pepper

1/2 cup rice flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

2x eggs

3/4 cup rice vinegar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/4 cup ketchup

2 cans pineapple chunks

1/2 liter or more sunflower oil

Chop up onion and peppers and dice garlic. I generally brine bear if possible beforehand with a 50/50 mix of pink salt and brown sugar with a few liters of water. After that while still semi frozen cube up the bear into bite size pieces. Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper together in a bowl and beat up your eggs in another bowl.

Fill up a pan or wok with oil and heat it up to about 350 and set up your egg wash station. Start coating the chunks of meat in the flour mix, then dip them in the egg wash and back in the flour one more time and into the oil. Only have to cook them for a couple minutes until they start getting golden brown then when they're all fried transfer them into a dish and fire them in the oven at 325 for 20 - 30 minutes.

Add some oil to a saucepan, sautee the garlic and brown the onions. Add the peppers and cook until soft, then add the pineapple and stir until warm. At this point add the vinegar, ketchup and sugar and bring the sauce to a boil, once it starts boiling add a bit of cornstarch to thicken it up a bit. Once you have the sauce to your liking add it to the dish of meat and let it bake for another 10 minutes or so. If you did things right you should have something that looks like this and tastes pretty damn similar to the best sweet and sour pork around.

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sweet & sour bear

thanks for the recipe it looks delicious, ill go to the grocerybush next month and order one

Looks totally good to me.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Looking GREAT! Going to have to give this one a whirl for sure!

Cheers & Thanks!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Looks great.

I should be more adventurous and use bear for cooking. Pep is all I ever get.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Yes Yes Yes !!!!

Sorry to drag up an old thread but this recipe sounds delicious. My question is how tough was the meat. I sous vide, slow cook, or grind a lot of my game as I find the lack of marbeling in game can result in tough meat with traditional cooking methods.

Thanks I will try this recipe looks great