Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkeys - Rock creek.

Turkeys - Rock creek.

My parents just bought a property out in rock creek area along the kettle and I plan to spend as much time there as I can. I've always wanted to get into Turkey hunting but with no experience or knowledge I've always just passed it off and gone bear hunting instead closer to home.

What is a person looking for in regards to habitat for Turkey? Are decoys necessary? Is calling necessary or can I still hunt? I've always seen them along the highway going through that area, but I know private land is an issue. Any fsr's I can check out as a starting point to put some boots on the ground?

Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkeys - Rock creek.

tell your mom to throw grain out.

Chances are they will on farm land along the highway, 20’-60’on the opposite side of the fence.

Look for areas that have water holes, roost trees, and access to food (crops, insect, etc.). You find these in close proximity in turkey country and you'll find birds. Water holes can be as small as a puddle.

Decoys help but arent absolutely necessary. It's worth getting a $20 hen decoy. Toms will be looking for a hen, so the visual really does make a difference. When you locate a bird, don't over-call. It's wild what a couple chirps and dead silence can do to a horny tom. My most productive hours have historically been late morning.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by revyhunter View Post
    Look for areas that have water holes, roost trees, and access to food (crops, insect, etc.). You find these in close proximity in turkey country and you'll find birds. Water holes can be as small as a puddle.

Decoys help but arent absolutely necessary. It's worth getting a $20 hen decoy. Toms will be looking for a hen, so the visual really does make a difference. When you locate a bird, don't over-call. It's wild what a couple chirps and dead silence can do to a horny tom. My most productive hours have historically been late morning.

Good luck!
    Thanks Revy, that what I'm looking for.

I haven't killed one yet but I can tell ya they have really good eyesight, they'll pick up on just a little movement...

Forget about still hunting, their sight and hearing is unreal. Get calls, calling is usually necessary unless you know their route and are set up to ambush. A box call is easiest to learn to start.
    Ridges of fir and ponderosa pine are their favourite roosting areas. Decoys can be hit and miss. The fact it’s so fun to hear them gobble causes most to over call, which can cause birds to hang up thinking you’re coming to them.
    If you can roost a gobbler and sneak to within 100 metres undetected in the dark the next morning, you’ve got a good chance.
    I hunt/ all day long when I’m out there.
    Twist and pull.

Go to the golf course in Kettle Valley in mid winter. All kinds of them there. I suspect it's all private land around there so hunting will most likely not be allowed.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Turkey is a really fun and pretty easy spring hunt. Can hunt bears as well but we usually mix in a bit of shed hunting too.

Turkeys are extremely habitual and follow the same routine day in and day out. Calling is definitely key. Easiest way is to roost birds in the evening so you are set up for the next day. For this reason, I'm never too aggressive in the late afternoon/evening, my focus is just on putting birds to bed as you know they will be there the next day. Decoys absolutely help and will help bring in birds that get hung up, which happens often. Their eyesight is sharp and will catch even the slightest bit of movement.

As far as habitat goes, agriculture and private land are the obvious places but don't overlook steep, bluffy country. This isn't Oklahoma, the birds here love the steep stuff with little benches for strutting. Any sign of danger and they are able to jump off and glide down the valley to safety in a few seconds.

Good luck and have fun!
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Awesome.e guys thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.