Thread: Hanwag tatra top gtx

Hanwag tatra top gtx

Good morning all,

I presently wear Hanwag Alaska GTX boots. Have had these boots for a long time now, on my second set of replacement soles. Absolutely love these boots.

I'm going to get a new pair this year, and have been tossing around the idea of getting a boot with a higher upper like the Trapper Top GTX. Also considering this for the extra bit of insulation as my feet tend to get cold when sitting and glassing in my Alaska's.

Anyone ever made the switch from regular height hiking boots to these higher ones and care to provide your feedback.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hanwag tatra top gtx

I'm sort of in the same boat Ron. I love my Zamberlan Toffane boots and they fit perfectly but I'm looking for a little more ankle support for this summer's sheep quest. I thought I had a winner with one of Zamberlan's new sheep/elk boots and I ordered the exact same size as my Toffanes but they were just a little too small. I went in to Bass Pro and tried the next size up but they were too big. Still looking, but debating using my current pair instead because they are a known.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I prefer a tall boot. I have 2 years in the trapper tops and find them quite comfy. I wear short under armour boots form my local training hike and feel naked with them. Wear some gaiters over a taller boot and you can do a dozen steps through a shin deep mountain creek without gettin wet feet!

Just at the end of last season I upgraded from a pair of Tatra's (not tops) to a pair of trapper tops. I’ve had the tatra’s for quite a while and absolutely love them, they are definitely not retired, but the difference with the trapper tops is almost surreal. On a downhill it really spreads the load through your shin and calf, I thought it was an incredible difference.

Don’t throw out your Alaskans but I don’t think you will regret dropping the coin on either a set of Tatra tops or Trapper tops.

Bradley