Thread: SCAM, Boat registration / licence

SCAM, Boat registration / licence

Not sure if this has been brought up before or not.
    Be aware of a company called National Vessel Registry Center Corp also known as Canadian Vessel Registry. It purposely and is intended to look like a government website but basicaly is a scam where they want to register your boat for you. You do everything that you have to do when registering through Transport Canada but they charge you $135.00 before you complete all the paperwork. $135 that is non refundable.
    Dont mix up Transport Canada, Application for Pleasure Craft Licence that cost nothing and takes no time at all and you get your licence number immediatley when it is a transfer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: SCAM, Boat registration / licence

Good post. It's very deceptive and because it is the first site that comes up when you look for "registering a pleasure craft in Canada" most people think it is the government site.

Not quite sure why it's a "scam" as it clearly states that they are not the Vessel Registry but are there to assist in getting your vessel registered / liscenced ??
    Are they taking your funds and not providing the promised services ?
    Sure, it's relatively easy to do it yourself at little or no cost but there are people who have difficulty dealing on line or wading through beauracracy.
    Many folks go to Tax Return places when doing your own return, for free is relatively easy.

I agree with Iron Glove, it's not exactly a scam.
    It says on their website that they are not Transport Canada.
    But it's like buying a homestyle bread made in an industrial oven.
    Or having someone else cook your food for you.
    It happens a lot, even though it's not necessary.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I just refer to it as a scam because all the paperwork they require is exactly what you have to provide with Transport Canada, mailed in or online. This does not benefit anybody with computer skills or not, forms are almost identical. Also I think their ad is very misleading by making it look and read like a government website. Almost go as far as false advertising.
    I guess they do provide a service, (after all you did all the work, except pushing send or putting it in the mail) at the end of the day if you want to throw away $135, fill your boots or their pockets.